[Webhob] Tasks I/O information collected in buildstats

Flanagan, Elizabeth elizabeth.flanagan at intel.com
Fri May 31 17:57:53 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Barros Pena, Belen
<belen.barros.pena at intel.com> wrote:
> On 31/05/2013 15:20, "Paul Eggleton" <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday 31 May 2013 14:05:08 Barros Pena, Belen wrote:
>>> We have answered pretty much all questions about task-related
>>>information,
>>> except one about task Disk I/O. Just wondering if anybody could help us
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> Looking at the buildstats directory, it looks like we collect a whole
>>> bunch of task information that seems disk I/O related:
>>>
>>> EndIOinProgress
>>> EndReadsComp
>>> EndReadsMerged
>>> EndSectRead
>>> EndSectWrite
>>> EndTimeIO
>>> EndTimeReads
>>> EndTimeWrite
>>> EndWTimeIO
>>> EndWritesComp
>>> StartIOinProgress
>>> StartReadsComp
>>> StartReadsMerged
>>> StartSectRead
>>> StartSectWrite
>>> StartTimeIO
>>> StartTimeReads
>>> StartTimeWrite
>>> StartWTimeIO
>>> StartWritesComp
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the above really means, but I wonder if we could use
>>> it to calculate a single (yet meaningful) measure of Disk I/O for a
>>>given
>>> task. What such measure would be and how to calculate it is what I need
>>> help with.

So, all of this comes from iostats in the kernel. For full documentation see:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/iostats.txt

I think what you're probably looking for is the difference between
EndTimeIO and StartTimeIO...

-b

>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>>FYI some hints on some of these from one of Beth's original commits:
>>
>>http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=b525fc13063a6d68
>>1a14c871580efaab458dd370
>
> This really helps. Thanks Paul!
>
> Could Weighted time doing I/O (WTimeIO) be the measure we are looking for?
>

>>Cheers,
>>Paul
>>
>>--
>>
>>Paul Eggleton
>>Intel Open Source Technology Centre

> Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
> Registered No. 1134945 (England)
> Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
> VAT No: 860 2173 47

Elizabeth Flanagan
Yocto Project
Build and Release