[Webhob] task types and outcomes

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu May 30 07:28:09 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 13:10 +0000, Dragomir, CalinX L wrote:
> I have a couple of questions regarding the tasks if you could help me
> understand better what's going on in a build operation.
>
> 1. From what I've read in the e-mails so far, it seems that there are
> three types of tasks: built, sstate and skipped. Can you tell me what
> each of them mean and how are they different ?
> 2. It also seems that there can be multiple results for each of them.
> Can you detail the meaning of each final state? (failed, missed,
> etc.) ?
> 3. How can I tell what type of task is the current executed task (if
> it is sstate or built or anything else) ?

Let me explain what bitbake actually does. How this is presented in the
UI is a different question :)

When you run "bitbake X", bitbake first goes through a "setscene" phase.

This attempts to get the pre-built objects from the sstate cache. If
does this in reverse dependency order so it will try X, then the things
X depends on and so on.

If it gets X, it would skip the dependencies in many cases.

Bitbake then moves to the runqueue phase. If everything was obtained
from sstate, great, we do nothing. If we couldn't get anything, we'd
build from scratch. We also cover all the states in between.

The tmp/stamps directory tells you the status of all the tasks. Each
task can have a stamp or a setscene version of the stamp.

Hope that helps a bit!