[meta-amd] gizmo2 issues

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 07:33:54 PDT 2017

On Wed 2017-04-12 @ 07:59:16 AM, Belal, Awais wrote:
> >> - the power barrel jack seems flaky, I often have to try inserting the
> >> jack a couple times and jiggling it a fair amount until the board
> >> "sees" the incoming power
>
> Feels like this is a hardware issue and your power jack is in the process of
> being bricked. Do you have another piece of the hardware to try this with?

No, I just have the one gizmo2 board. I know it was a long shot, but I thought
maybe there was a chance it's a common issue, or maybe the resettable fuse is
acting up.

> >> - by default, as is, the board apparently crashes on bootup, the last
> >> line being:
>
> >>     fb: switching to radeondrmfb from simple
>
> >> If I add "nomodeset" to the kernel cmdline, this seems to fix things
>
> Which bitbake machine have you used to build this? To be exact what's
> MACHINE set to in your local.conf?

steppeeagle:

	Build Configuration:
	BB_VERSION        = "1.33.4"
	BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
	NATIVELSBSTRING   = "opensuse-42.2"
	TARGET_SYS        = "x86_64-oe-linux"
	MACHINE           = "steppeeagle"
	DISTRO            = "nodistro"
	DISTRO_VERSION    = "nodistro.0"
	TUNE_FEATURES     = "dbft3b"
	TARGET_FPU        = ""
	meta-steppeeagle
	common            =
	"contrib/twoerner/grub-efi-fix:08b0a0434c591d1aa48eff2c51dbcfe894e9dcfe"
	meta              =
	"contrib/twoerner/llvm-search:e8d4198ad181cbeccd5174d47ee9a59ee78cf68f"
	meta-oe           = "master:2cdea6c5bb09aa90184c17c9157f4fed0e10b3c2"

> >> - by default, as is, the x server can't start, it complains about some
> >> sort of invalid configuration for "Screen0" (if memory serves). simply
> >> deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf allows the server to start up just fine
>
> You can make a backup of your xorg.conf before deleting it and then you can
> compare it on the next boot with the auto-generated conf to see what changed
> that allowed the server to start up cleanly.

Presumably an xorg.conf is written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf? There isn't any such
file on my working system. Would the log file be of interest?

Best regards,
	Trevor