[meta-amd] gizmo2 issues

Belal, Awais Awais_Belal at mentor.com
Wed Apr 12 00:59:16 PDT 2017

Hi Trevor,

>> - the power barrel jack seems flaky, I often have to try inserting the
>> jack a couple times and jiggling it a fair amount until the board
>> "sees" the incoming power

Feels like this is a hardware issue and your power jack is in the process of being bricked. Do you have another piece of the hardware to try this with?

>> - by default, as is, the board apparently crashes on bootup, the last
>> line being:

>>     fb: switching to radeondrmfb from simple

>> If I add "nomodeset" to the kernel cmdline, this seems to fix things

Which bitbake machine have you used to build this? To be exact what's MACHINE set to in your local.conf?

>> - by default, as is, the x server can't start, it complains about some
>> sort of invalid configuration for "Screen0" (if memory serves). simply
>> deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf allows the server to start up just fine

You can make a backup of your xorg.conf before deleting it and then you can compare it on the next boot with the auto-generated conf to see what changed that allowed the server to start up cleanly.

BR,
Awais

I've been playing with my gizmo2 and noticed a couple issues (nothing
major) and wanted to see what others though:

- the power barrel jack seems flaky, I often have to try inserting the
jack a couple times and jiggling it a fair amount until the board
"sees" the incoming power

- by default, as is, the board apparently crashes on bootup, the last
line being:

    fb: switching to radeondrmfb from simple

If I add "nomodeset" to the kernel cmdline, this seems to fix things

- by default, as is, the x server can't start, it complains about some
sort of invalid configuration for "Screen0" (if memory serves). simply
deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf allows the server to start up just fine

- adding "mesa-demos" to the image and trying them, everything I've
tried so far seems to run/work, neat!

Best regards,
    Trevor