yocto_installer test script update

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Hi, Jessica

The newer version of the installer is in lianhao's location. You can directly run ./yocto_installer
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ Today we tested both on 32 bit and 64 bit ubuntu host.

It's very initial and rough, I will move many non-root required ops into the outer wrapper script later.

Any early comments are welcomed, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Zhang, Jessica

Liping,

I've modified couple files mainly for the messaging, styling, etc. Also,
globaly changed SDK to ADT (Application Development Tools, which is the new
name that came out refering to the toolchains, etc.). Please see
attachment.

Other comments:
1. I'd expect after your do the code clean up, the code logic flow should be
more clearer, now the functions and main installation code are mingled
together
2. There're couple places that I commented off with my initial JZ which I
don't think there're the needs for the code, we can walk through them
tonight...
3. For target sysroot setup, I'd expect similar prompt to the user about the
specified configuration and confirmation
4. Also for target sysroot setup, in the yocto_config file, you specify
ROOTFS_powerpc="sdk"
TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_powerpc="sato"
I'd expect the installer will run into error since the download images only
contain SDK no sato, sysroot can't be setup using sato, which I think it's
missing from the current code...

In general it looks good and main flow that needs to be covered are there...

Thanks,
Jessica

The newer version of the installer is in lianhao's location. You can
directly run ./yocto_installer
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ Today we tested both on 32 bit and 64 bit
ubuntu host.

It's very initial and rough, I will move many non-root required ops into the
outer wrapper script later.

Any early comments are welcomed, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Hi, Jessica

Thanks a lot for the comments. Today I have finished the structural movement.
I have moved install opkg, download images from privilege required shell to
the outer wrapper firstly. The updated shell is in the same place.

Now I am beginning to refine the detailed code which will address all your comments.

After finish it, I will post the refined version to you a little later.

Thanks a lot!

criping

I've modified couple files mainly for the messaging, styling, etc.
Also, globaly changed SDK to ADT (Application Development Tools, which
is the new name that came out refering to the toolchains, etc.).
Please see attachment.

Other comments:
1. I'd expect after your do the code clean up, the code logic flow
should be more clearer, now the functions and main installation code
are mingled together
Yes, functions will be put on the header and the mainbody will be put behind surely!

2. There're couple places that I commented off
with my initial JZ which I don't think there're the needs for the code,
we can walk through them tonight...
Ok.

3. For target sysroot setup, I'd expect similar prompt to the user
about the specified configuration and confirmation
OK, the image to be extracted, user_nfs_home_dir and the architecture will
be printed and ask whether user will go on extracting... Also if the folder
exists there, other prompt will show. Is it enough?

4. Also for target
sysroot setup, in the yocto_config file, you specify
ROOTFS_powerpc="sdk"
TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_powerpc="sato"
I'd expect the installer will run into error since the download images
only contain SDK no sato, sysroot can't be setup using sato, which I
think it's missing from the current code...
A function called validate_config will be added to validate the user configurations
before installation. I will cover this requirement in the validation function.

In general it looks good and main flow that needs to be covered are
there...

Thanks,
Jessica

The newer version of the installer is in lianhao's location. You can
directly run ./yocto_installer http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ Today
we tested both on 32 bit and 64 bit ubuntu host.

It's very initial and rough, I will move many non-root required ops
into the outer wrapper script later.

Any early comments are welcomed, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Hi, Jessica
I have update the installer on http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/. I have tested in your machine roughly, downloading should work if you use wget -Y off to turn off all your proxy settings for testing. Since there're dangling folders in your machine, I can't rudely delete it. You can download the new package and test.

There're some other prompt problems I need to adjust. Today is not the final code, only for your reviewing and testing.

Any problem, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

The newer version of the installer is in lianhao's location. You can
directly run ./yocto_installer http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ Today
we tested both on 32 bit and 64 bit ubuntu host.

It's very initial and rough, I will move many non-root required ops
into the outer wrapper script later.

Any early comments are welcomed, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Zhang, Jessica

Liping,

I ran into error right away, and it's a very valid situation that we need to
be able to handle. So in the terminal that I test the installer, I happened
to already have /opt/poky and source the environment-setup-i586 script which
alter all my host sysroot to be under /opt/poky/sysroot/i586-pokysdk-linux/,
etc...which triggered your opkg autotool project configure failed, please
see the attached config.log file for details.

Also, yesterday, I spent quite some time re-wrote lots of prompt messages in
the yocto_main, can you merge them into the new code?

In the installation terminal I saw the following prompt:
Check User Configuration For Arch Type x86
Check User Configuration For Arch Type arm
Check User Configuration For Arch Type powerpc
Check User Configuration For Arch Type mips
Check architecture type x86 whether it needs to download images
Check architecture type arm whether it needs to download images
Check architecture type powerpc whether it needs to download images
Check architecture type mips whether it needs to download images
Do you want to go on installing, please enter Y/N:Y

Beginning installation process...

Begin to install selected native ADT!
make dir ///var/lib/opkg successfully!
Downloading http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/Packages.
Downloading http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/all/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-nativesdk/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-i586-canadian/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-arm-canadian/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-powerpc-canadian/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-mips-canadian/Packages.
Downloading
http://llu-piketon.sh.intel.com/ipk_sdk/i586-x86_64-canadian/Packages.

And by looking at your yocto_config file, which as following
Host Area
YOCTOADT_TARGETS="powerpc"
YOCTOADT_QEMU="Y"
YOCTOADT_NFS_UTIL="Y"
YOCTOADT_BITBAKE="Y"
YOCTOADT_METADATA="Y"

#Target Area
YOCTOADT_TARGET_arm="N"
YOCTOADT_ROOTFS_arm="sato sdk"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_arm="sato"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_arm="$HOME/test-yocto/arm"

YOCTOADT_TARGET_x86="Y"
YOCTOADT_ROOTFS_x86="sdk minimal"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_x86="sdk"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_x86="$HOME/test-yocto/x86"

YOCTOADT_TARGET_powerpc="N"
YOCTOADT_ROOTFS_powerpc="sdk sato minimal"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_powerpc="minimal"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_powerpc="$HOME/test-yocto/mips"

YOCTOADT_TARGET_mips="N"
YOCTOADT_ROOTFS_mips="sdk"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_IMAGE_mips="sdk"
YOCTOADT_TARGET_SYSROOT_mips="$HOME/test-yocto/mips"

Questions/comments
1. I'm assuming the "Check user configuration" and "Check architecture type"
messages are just for debugging and the in the final code they'll be gone
right?

2. Why I'm seeing so many downloading for all the cross-canadian for all
arches? According to your configure file, shouldn't just
i586-powerpc-canadian? Also, don't know where the "Downloading http://..."
message from, are they from the opkg install?

Thanks,
Jessica
Ke, Liping wrote:

[...]

Since I got a high fever yesterday so did not come to office in the morning...

Please see my reply below...

Thanks& Regards,
criping

I ran into error right away, and it's a very valid situation that we
need to be able to handle. So in the terminal that I test the
installer, I happened to already have /opt/poky and source the
environment-setup-i586 script which alter all my host sysroot to be
under /opt/poky/sysroot/i586-pokysdk-linux/,
etc...which triggered your opkg autotool project configure failed,
please see the attached config.log file for details.
I can detect whether some configurations are set in the environment, but such detection is something like a hack. If user like to set some CC, CFLAGS, seems we need not bother with it. This is the common case of failure. Eg: for normal project in open source world, make/make install is the normal installation process. We will meet the same error. Seems nobody will deal with it. But if you like, I will add a guard to detect the settings of specific environment setup. But Lianhao said such detection is strange.

Also, yesterday, I spent quite some time re-wrote lots of prompt
messages in the yocto_main, can you merge them into the new code?
No problem

[...]

Yes. The code is not finished yet. It needs further processing.

2. Why I'm seeing so many downloading for all the cross-canadian for
all arches? According to your configure file, shouldn't just i586-
powerpc-canadian? Also, don't know where the "Downloading http://..."
message from, are they from the opkg install?
Yes. This information is given by opkg update. It's package information.
When updating, it will fetch all those available repository information.
It has nothing to do with opkg install powerpc related materials.

Thanks,
Jessica
Ke, Liping wrote:
[...]

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input (prompts and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as logfile, go on installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has some problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Just one thing, if directly tee, check_result will get wrong output result.
So I did not tee opkg/make related command. I will try to add opkg/make to logfile tomorrow.

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input (prompts
and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as logfile, go on
installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has some
problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had
uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Zhang, Jessica

Liping,

I've made lots of modifications:

1. Tide up the prompt imformation format and messaging
2. Correct the logic in validate_config for checking the target selection
3. Correct the problem for qemu image download, now we forcing download
images in a clean directory since wget will change the file ext if the file
already there and which maybe corrupted
4. Eliminate unnecessary checking and prompt, e.g. for removing the old
/var/pseudo dir if user already choosing to install under /opt/poky and
override existing contents
5. Add prompt for target arch configuration to be consistent with the host
side checking
6. Rename file names to make them make more sense and cosistent with other
script name convention of Yocto project

Attached tar file contains all my changes, so please make changes on top of
the files in it instead of merge into your local dir due to the amount of
changes, unless you already create a git repo some where for us to track the
changes...

There're still couple issues that you need to fix:
1. The log file is still not capturing all the needed content, I think it's
on your to do list
2. I noticed the target sysroot is create as root under the user directory,
which is wrong, I believe it's due to the code is exectuing in the part that
need root priviledge, so need to move it out...

I've run against situation of none /opt/poky and everything has been
installed before, and it functioning as I'd expected besides the above 2
mentioned issues. So we're almost there...

Thanks,
Jessica

Ke, Liping wrote:

Just one thing, if directly tee, check_result will get wrong output
result.
So I did not tee opkg/make related command. I will try to add
opkg/make to logfile tomorrow.

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input
(prompts and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as
logfile, go on installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has some
problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had
uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Hi, Jessica

Basically done. We have tested on both x86 and x86_64 machine.
Logfile will be generated during the start of installing.

Latest shell is in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know.

I will look@qemu param checking script firstly.

Regards,
criping

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input
(prompts
and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as logfile, go
on
installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has some
problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had
uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Ops. Seems I made concurrent changes again....
Seems I need to redo today's work ....

I will update the final files a little later. Just wait.

criping

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input
(prompts and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as
logfile, go on installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has
some
problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had
uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

3. Correct
the problem for qemu image download, now we forcing download images in
a clean directory since wget will change the file ext if the file
already there and which maybe corrupted
Hi, Jessica

Have question for this one.
Now the code will directly downloading, so the folders might contain image, image(1), image(2)...
But the untar will always untar the old image? Then why downloading new? If user's network is very slow?

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Ok, you want to download new image for each install...

Ok, no problem. I will change that.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Tian, Kevin <kevin.tian@...>

Ops. Seems I made concurrent changes again....
Seems I need to redo today's work ....

I will update the final files a little later. Just wait.
why don't you setup a master repo on git.pokylinux.org? anyway we need such
thing finally and now you have multiple people touching same code...

Thanks
Kevin

criping

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input
(prompts and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as
logfile, go on installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has
some
problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included. I had
uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Zhang, Jessica

Liping,

It's not new image for each install, I want to download image whether new or
old for each install period. Reasons:

1. The old image may be corrupted, this is how I found the problem, since
the download detect the image file only by file name, there's no way to
sanity check the image file itself, so the later extract rootfs will always
fail if the file's corrupted
2. I've noticed that if we don't remove the directory, the new download will
be called *(1) *(2), etc. and the extraction only happen to the original
file, so the new files will never be picked, thus why I add remove and
recreate the download directory to totally avoid the issue...

- Jessica
Ke, Liping wrote:

Ok, you want to download new image for each install...

Ok, no problem. I will change that.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Ops. Seems I made concurrent changes again....
Seems I need to redo today's work ....

I will update the final files a little later. Just wait.
why don't you setup a master repo on git.pokylinux.org? anyway we
need such thing finally and now you have multiple people touching
same code...
Yes, realize the issue from today's situation, I'll setup a repo for the
installer once Liping's done her updates today to prevent further stepping
on each other...

- Jessica

Thanks
Kevin

criping

I have updated the script file which modifies all your input
(prompts and the discussion result in the weekly meeting such as
logfile, go on installing when /var/lib/opkg exists, etc).
I have tested with lianhao's repository (x86_64 native sdk has
some problem, he's now fixing it). Sample log files are included.
I had uploaded in lianhao's website.

Any problem, just let me know. I can fix it tomorrow!

Thanks & Regards,
criping

Ke, Liping <liping.ke@...>

Hi, Jessica

I just worry if user needs long time to downloading the image (it might be several G)
and if he really want to use the existing working image, the force downloading might be quite
brute...

My original thought is: if he want to download, easy... remove the folder...
Otherwise, let it be....

Anyway, since no user input right now, I have no problem and already change it.

I plan to check in the code to my contrib. tree, so that tracking changing is easier.

Thanks a lot for your help!
criping

[...]

Oh, that'll be great. I remember we said we will send the code to the poky.git in the end and we can use our own contrib tree?
But of course the separate tree will be better.

Current I temporarily put the updated code in the old place. I have finished the merging.

Any problem, just let me know.

Thanks& Regards,
criping

Zhang, Jessica

Ke, Liping wrote:
the final files a little later. Just wait.

why don't you setup a master repo on git.pokylinux.org? anyway we
need such thing finally and now you have multiple people touching
same code...
Yes, realize the issue from today's situation, I'll setup a repo for
the installer once Liping's done her updates today to prevent
further stepping on each other...
Oh, that'll be great. I remember we said we will send the code to the
poky.git in the end and we can use our own contrib tree? But of
course the separate tree will be better.

Current I temporarily put the updated code in the old place. I have
finished the merging.

Any problem, just let me know.
Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow and figure out how to setup the repo for us
to continue update in the futuer..

- Jessica