Topics

Single page view of a particular manual


Nicolas Dechesne
 

hey Vasyl,

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 8:07 PM Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Previously via https://docs.yoctoproject.org I was able to navigate to
the single page view of a specific manual, for example "Reference
Manual". But recently, something changed and it is only possible to
open a single page view of all manuals (mega-manual).
Can you please describe what you are doing in the webpage? It should
still work. You need to select "All in one Mega manual" in the
dropdown menu on the top left corner of the page. When you do that, it
should bring you to this URL:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/singleindex.html

Which contains the whole YP docs in a 'single' html page.


It makes it much harder to search something on a page. Is it possible
to return old behaviour somehow?

Kind regards,
Vasyl


Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@...>
 

Hi,

Previously via https://docs.yoctoproject.org I was able to navigate to
the single page view of a specific manual, for example "Reference
Manual". But recently, something changed and it is only possible to
open a single page view of all manuals (mega-manual).

It makes it much harder to search something on a page. Is it possible
to return old behaviour somehow?

Kind regards,
Vasyl


Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@...>
 

Hi, Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 8:06 PM Nicolas Dechesne
<nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org> wrote:

Can you please describe what you are doing in the webpage? It should
You need to select "All in one Mega manual" in the
dropdown menu on the top left corner of the page. When you do that, it
should bring you to this URL:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/singleindex.html

Which contains the whole YP docs in a 'single' html page.
But as far as I remember, previously I could have a single page view
of a particular manual, for example "Development Tasks Manual", etc.
It is much more useful than complete single page view of all documents
at the same time (but this one is useful too in some cases).


Nicolas Dechesne
 

hi Vasyl,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 8:06 PM Nicolas Dechesne
<nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org> wrote:

Can you please describe what you are doing in the webpage? It should
You need to select "All in one Mega manual" in the
dropdown menu on the top left corner of the page. When you do that, it
should bring you to this URL:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/singleindex.html

Which contains the whole YP docs in a 'single' html page.
But as far as I remember, previously I could have a single page view
of a particular manual, for example "Development Tasks Manual", etc.
It is much more useful than complete single page view of all documents
at the same time (but this one is useful too in some cases).
Ah, you're right. It was possible with the previous docs, but not
anymore. With the Sphinx based docs the whole Yocto Project docs is
just "one set", not a collection of 'manuals'. So currently the single
html page includes the entire documentation set.

There is no 'easy' way to change that though. I am definitely
interested to gather more feedback about that. We made a conscious
choice to get this way, It's different, and if it's causing more pain,
we should know and discuss..

I heard complaints before that we had too 'many' manuals, and it was
hard to know which one to open, which is the opposite of what you are
asking ;)

let's see if we can gather more feedback.


Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@...>
 

Hi, Nicolas,

Now, it looks like something changed.

Opening https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/, then choosing
"All-in-one 'Mega' Manual" leads to what I need: single page BitBake
User Manual - https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/singleindex.html

But there are few more issues.

1. Open https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/index.html. Select on
the top has entries "Individual Webpages" and "All-in-one 'Mega'
Manual". The problem is that entry "All-in-one 'Mega' Manual" now does
not reflects to the current behavior. Suggest to replace "All-in-one
'Mega' Manual" with "Single Webpage".

2. Open https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/. Version select at the
top with options "3.2.1", "3.1.4", etc. are not working.

Thanks,
Vasyl

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 6:27 PM Nicolas Dechesne
<nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org> wrote:

hi Vasyl,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 8:06 PM Nicolas Dechesne
<nicolas.dechesne@linaro.org> wrote:

Can you please describe what you are doing in the webpage? It should
You need to select "All in one Mega manual" in the
dropdown menu on the top left corner of the page. When you do that, it
should bring you to this URL:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/singleindex.html

Which contains the whole YP docs in a 'single' html page.
But as far as I remember, previously I could have a single page view
of a particular manual, for example "Development Tasks Manual", etc.
It is much more useful than complete single page view of all documents
at the same time (but this one is useful too in some cases).
Ah, you're right. It was possible with the previous docs, but not
anymore. With the Sphinx based docs the whole Yocto Project docs is
just "one set", not a collection of 'manuals'. So currently the single
html page includes the entire documentation set.

There is no 'easy' way to change that though. I am definitely
interested to gather more feedback about that. We made a conscious
choice to get this way, It's different, and if it's causing more pain,
we should know and discuss..

I heard complaints before that we had too 'many' manuals, and it was
hard to know which one to open, which is the opposite of what you are
asking ;)

let's see if we can gather more feedback.