Question of Yocto dunfell LTS period

Chanho Park

Dear folks,

I found the lts period of Yocto dunfell has been extended from 2022.04 to
2024.04[1].
AFAIK, a Yocto LTS version has 2 years period. I tried to find any notice
regarding this but I just found Richard's e-mail[2] in last year.
Can I find any thread or notice regarding this extension?

[1]: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases
[2]:
https://lore.kernel.org/yocto/3878e27fb895718b8c5d65f444fea443a56e0587.camel
@linuxfoundation.org/

Best Regards,
Chanho Park

Matthias Klein

Hello together,

I would like to add a question to the topic:

Why was the LTS period for dunfell extended?
Can we expect the same for kirstone?

Many greetings,
Matthias

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
I found the lts period of Yocto dunfell has been extended from 2022.04 to 2024.04[1].
AFAIK, a Yocto LTS version has 2 years period. I tried to find any notice regarding this but I just found Richard's e-mail[2] in last year.
Can I find any thread or notice regarding this extension?

[1]: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases
[2]:
https://lore.kernel.org/yocto/3878e27fb895718b8c5d65f444fea443a56e0587.camel
@linuxfoundation.org/

Best Regards,
Chanho Park

Richard Purdie

On Fri, 2022-01-14 at 07:14 +0000, Matthias Klein wrote:
Hello together,

I would like to add a question to the topic:

Why was the LTS period for dunfell extended?
Can we expect the same for kirstone?
The project members agreed to fun an extension to the lifetime of dunfell from 2
years to 4 years. There should have been some announcements about this but we
lack people on the advocacy side of the project with time to make that happen.
That saddens me a lot and I think it is a missed opportunity but there isn't
much I can do about it beyond what I've already tried.

Extending Dunfell is an experiment so we would base a decision on how well the
dunfell extension is working out. Extending an LTS like this requires a
financial commitment from the project. At this point in time the project cannot
commit to extending kirkstone as we can't guarantee the finances.