QEMU Size Increase from Yocto Thud to Zeus

Aashik Aswin

Hi Experts,

I am upgrading my Linux from Yocto Thud to Zeus (5.4 Kernel) . After building I could see a significant increase in the size of the image.
On checking with buildhistory enabled, I could see that qemu has nearly doubled in size.

Thud (4.19) - 223084  KiB     qemu
Zeus (5.4) - 474757  KiB     qemu

Is this size increase expected or are there some additional configs that might have been added as a part of the upgrade ?

Appreciate your help.

TIA,
Aashik

Ross Burton

Are you installing qemu into your image though?

Qemu did get larger as it is built with more architectures enabled,
but unless you're installing it in your image it won't make a
difference.

Ross

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 11:40, Aashik Aswin <thisisaash9698@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Experts,

I am upgrading my Linux from Yocto Thud to Zeus (5.4 Kernel) . After building I could see a significant increase in the size of the image.
On checking with buildhistory enabled, I could see that qemu has nearly doubled in size.

Thud (4.19) - 223084 KiB qemu
Zeus (5.4) - 474757 KiB qemu

Is this size increase expected or are there some additional configs that might have been added as a part of the upgrade ?

Appreciate your help.

TIA,
Aashik

Aashik Aswin

Thanks for the clarification, yes I am installing QEMU in my image. Is there some way that we can disable the additional architectures and streamline the size ?

Thanks

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 11:40, Aashik Aswin <thisisaash9698@...> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I am upgrading my Linux from Yocto Thud to Zeus (5.4 Kernel) . After building I could see a significant increase in the size of the image.
> On checking with buildhistory enabled, I could see that qemu has nearly doubled in size.
>
> Thud (4.19) - 223084  KiB     qemu
> Zeus (5.4) - 474757  KiB     qemu
>
> Is this size increase expected or are there some additional configs that might have been added as a part of the upgrade ?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> TIA,
> Aashik

Ross Burton

Yes, look at the PACKAGECONFIGs and setting QEMU_TARGETS.

Ross

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:48 PM Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> wrote:

[...]

Zoran

Yes, look at the PACKAGECONFIGs and setting QEMU_TARGETS.
Does it mean that with the local.conf line:

# enable,disable,depends,rdepends
#
PACKAGECONFIG[qemu] = "--with-qemu,--without-qemu,qemu,"

The QEMU is completely removed (this is all that needs to be done, or...)?

Thank you,
Zee
_______

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> wrote:

[...]

Hello Ross,

Thanks ! I was able to reduce the size of the image by modifying the QEMU_TARGETS variable.. but on enabling buildhistory and checking under installed-image-sizes.txt , the individual package size of the qemu remains the same. Is this correct? If not is there any other optimization that can be done?

Thanks in advance

Aashik