[OE-core] [yocto] Yocto Project Status WW18`21


Richard Purdie
 

On Tue, 2021-05-04 at 18:38 +0200, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 16:46, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com> wrote:
We are pleased to announce that our April 2022 release (potentially 3.5) will 
be the next LTS as per our original two year schedule. If there are features 
desired in the next LTS, now is the time to get them submitted and stabilized
ready.
What will happen to the current LTS at that point? Will support be cut off, 
will there be a transition window, or is it currently undefined?
We have discussed extending it but we currently only have the funding for the
originally planned 2 years. Discussions are continuing but since we do all 
agree that the next LTS will start then, we decided to at least let people 
plan against that.

Unless funding/support is secured, dunfell would move to community support
if anyone were willing to step up, or become EOL and replaced by the new LTS.
There would likely be some period of overlap of a few months to transition.

There is also concern about pressuring wider community layers for longer support
cycles which is something we need to think about.

Cheers,

Richard


Zoran
 

We have discussed extending it but we currently only have the funding
for the originally planned 2 years.
Really/echt??? Why? ;)

Zoran
_______

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 12:33 AM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

On Tue, 2021-05-04 at 18:38 +0200, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 16:46, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com> wrote:
We are pleased to announce that our April 2022 release (potentially 3.5) will
be the next LTS as per our original two year schedule. If there are features
desired in the next LTS, now is the time to get them submitted and stabilized
ready.
What will happen to the current LTS at that point? Will support be cut off,
will there be a transition window, or is it currently undefined?
We have discussed extending it but we currently only have the funding for the
originally planned 2 years. Discussions are continuing but since we do all
agree that the next LTS will start then, we decided to at least let people
plan against that.

Unless funding/support is secured, dunfell would move to community support
if anyone were willing to step up, or become EOL and replaced by the new LTS.
There would likely be some period of overlap of a few months to transition.

There is also concern about pressuring wider community layers for longer support
cycles which is something we need to think about.

Cheers,

Richard