[OE-core] Question of Yocto dunfell LTS period

Jate Sujjavanich

I received the answer to this question in IRC on 10/29/2021.

16:06 <jatedev> I saw a wiki edit that said dunfell's LTS period is now through April 2024, but I've seen no announcements. Any truth to this rumor?
16:20 <smurray> jatedev: it was announced on one of the technical calls a few weeks back, so yes AFAIK
16:25 <RP> jatedev: definitely true. I wish we could sort out the project advocacy side of things :(

Let this email serve as a little advocacy.

-Jate S.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:14 PM Chanho Park via lists.openembedded.org <chanho61.park=samsung.com@...> wrote:
Dear folks,

I found the lts period of Yocto dunfell has been extended from 2022.04 to
2024.04[1].
AFAIK, a Yocto LTS version has 2 years period. I tried to find any notice
regarding this but I just found Richard's e-mail[2] in last year.
Can I find any thread or notice regarding this extension?

[1]: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases
[2]:
https://lore.kernel.org/yocto/3878e27fb895718b8c5d65f444fea443a56e0587.camel
@linuxfoundation.org/

Best Regards,
Chanho Park

Michael Opdenacker

<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083490> <jatedev>
<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083555> <smurray>
<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083577> <RP>
jatedev: definitely true. I wish we could sort out the project
advocacy side of things :(

Let this email serve as a little advocacy.

I believe this would also help if the website (releases page) and/or
official documentation carried such information.
Thanks for raising this concern!
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

Alexander Kanavin

Actually, I think this was some kind of missed PR opportunity. Regular distros, such as RHEL, Debian and everyone else, are constantly trotting out their support windows as the reason to hand them the job of making products, so we could counter that better perhaps.

Alex

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 06:28, Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker@...> wrote:

On 1/14/22 2:36 AM, Jate Sujjavanich wrote:
> I received the answer to this question in IRC on 10/29/2021.
>
> 16:06
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083490> <jatedev>
> I saw a wiki edit that said dunfell's LTS period is now through April
> 2024, but I've seen no announcements. Any truth to this rumor?
> 16:20
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083555> <smurray>
> jatedev: it was announced on one of the technical calls a few weeks
> back, so yes AFAIK
> 16:25
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083577> <RP>
> jatedev: definitely true. I wish we could sort out the project
> advocacy side of things :(
>
> Let this email serve as a little advocacy.

I believe this would also help if the website (releases page) and/or
official documentation carried such information.
Thanks for raising this concern!
Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com

Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor@...>

Funny you mention PR.

It would also help if recipes staying on the same version
but adding patches for e.g. CVE fixes should increase their
PR value so their rebuilt versions can be put into a package repo.

Throwing away the buildroot (as suggested any time some obscure
build error happens) and restarting a complete image build
resets the autopr value so the repo would contain packages with
the same r0.0 release string and the package manager doesn't know
that the package is newer.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 06:28, Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker@... <mailto:michael.opdenacker@...>> wrote:
On 1/14/22 2:36 AM, Jate Sujjavanich wrote:
> I received the answer to this question in IRC on 10/29/2021.
>
> 16:06
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083490
<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083490>> <jatedev>
> I saw a wiki edit that said dunfell's LTS period is now through April
> 2024, but I've seen no announcements. Any truth to this rumor?
> 16:20
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083555
<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083555>> <smurray>
> jatedev: it was announced on one of the technical calls a few weeks
> back, so yes AFAIK
> 16:25
> <https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083577
<https://libera.irclog.whitequark.org/yocto/2021-10-29#31083577>> <RP>
> jatedev: definitely true. I wish we could sort out the project
> advocacy side of things :(
>
> Let this email serve as a little advocacy.
I believe this would also help if the website (releases page) and/or
official documentation carried such information.
Thanks for raising this concern!
Cheers
Michael.
--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com <https://bootlin.com>

Ross Burton <ross@...>

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 12:41, Zoltan Boszormenyi via
lists.yoctoproject.org <zboszor=pr.hu@...> wrote:
It would also help if recipes staying on the same version
but adding patches for e.g. CVE fixes should increase their
PR value so their rebuilt versions can be put into a package repo.

Throwing away the buildroot (as suggested any time some obscure
build error happens) and restarting a complete image build
resets the autopr value so the repo would contain packages with
the same r0.0 release string and the package manager doesn't know
that the package is newer.
If you want persistent PRs between builds after deleting the build
tree, simply archive the PR database.

We're not going back to manually updating the PR on changes.

Ross