[meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc: set default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1


Wojciech Zmuda
 

From: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>

Signed-off-by: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
---
recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
index 5ee40d4..9fc08ba 100644
--- a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
+++ b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ LICENSE = "Apache-2.0"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=fa818a259cbed7ce8bc2a22d35a464fc"

# Default to a stable version
-PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.5.0"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.6.0-rc1"
include zephyr-kernel-src-${PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel}.inc

inherit cmake
--
2.25.1


Jon Mason
 

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...> wrote:

From: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>

Signed-off-by: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
Do we really want to have Zephyr on a release candidate? IMHO, we
should never be doing this, as we should want the kernel in
meta-zephyr to be as stable as possible. If this is really desired,
perhaps a master-next branch for things like this.

Thanks,
Jon

---
recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
index 5ee40d4..9fc08ba 100644
--- a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
+++ b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ LICENSE = "Apache-2.0"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=fa818a259cbed7ce8bc2a22d35a464fc"

# Default to a stable version
-PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.5.0"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.6.0-rc1"
include zephyr-kernel-src-${PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel}.inc

inherit cmake
--
2.25.1




Jon Mason
 

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Zbigniew Bodek
<zbigniew.bodek@...> wrote:

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your comment. I will try to answer.
This change is to include following bug fix: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/33251
I can also see we've had multiple RC versions in the past but in principle, I'm not against your suggestion to have master-next, etc. So where should we go from here?
My recommendation would be to pull that patch out and apply it
directly on top of v2.5.0 (assuming that is feasible). Maybe even
asking the upstream zephyr project to port this to v2.5.0 and make it
v2.5.1 would be the optimal solution.

As far as a master-next branch, that would be up to Naveen.


Kind regards
Zbigniew

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Mason [mailto:jdmason@...]
Sent: 18 May, 2021 17:17
To: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>
Cc: yocto@...; Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc: set default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...> wrote:

From: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>

Signed-off-by: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
Do we really want to have Zephyr on a release candidate? IMHO, we should never be doing this, as we should want the kernel in meta-zephyr to be as stable as possible. If this is really desired, perhaps a master-next branch for things like this.

Thanks,
Jon

---
recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
index 5ee40d4..9fc08ba 100644
--- a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
+++ b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ LICENSE = "Apache-2.0"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=fa818a259cbed7ce8bc2a22d35a464fc"

# Default to a stable version
-PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.5.0"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.6.0-rc1"
include zephyr-kernel-src-${PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel}.inc

inherit cmake
--
2.25.1




Naveen Saini
 

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto@... <yocto@...> On
Behalf Of Jon Mason
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:00 AM
To: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
Cc: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>; yocto@...
Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc: set
default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Zbigniew Bodek
<zbigniew.bodek@...> wrote:

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your comment. I will try to answer.
This change is to include following bug fix:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/33251
I can also see we've had multiple RC versions in the past but in principle, I'm
not against your suggestion to have master-next, etc. So where should we go
from here?

My recommendation would be to pull that patch out and apply it directly on
top of v2.5.0 (assuming that is feasible). Maybe even asking the upstream
zephyr project to port this to v2.5.0 and make it
v2.5.1 would be the optimal solution.
[Naveen] We can wait for stable release. If it is urgent, we can carry patches for bug fixes, in case upstream does not give dot release !

As far as a master-next branch, that would be up to Naveen.


Kind regards
Zbigniew

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Mason [mailto:jdmason@...]
Sent: 18 May, 2021 17:17
To: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>
Cc: yocto@...; Zbigniew Bodek
<zbigniew.bodek@...>
Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc:
set default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>
wrote:

From: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>

Signed-off-by: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
Do we really want to have Zephyr on a release candidate? IMHO, we
should never be doing this, as we should want the kernel in meta-zephyr to
be as stable as possible. If this is really desired, perhaps a master-next
branch for things like this.

Thanks,
Jon

---
recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
index 5ee40d4..9fc08ba 100644
--- a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
+++ b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
@@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ LICENSE = "Apache-2.0"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
"file://LICENSE;md5=fa818a259cbed7ce8bc2a22d35a464fc"

# Default to a stable version
-PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.5.0"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.6.0-rc1"
include zephyr-kernel-src-${PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel}.inc

inherit cmake
--
2.25.1




Wojciech Zmuda
 

Hello everybody, thanks for your comments.

Let's abandon this patch then. Judging by meta-zephyr commit history we guessed that bumping up the rev to -rc is compliant with your policy. In that case we, as meta-zephyr users, will just wait for the upstream to reach stable 2.6.0.

Regards,
Wojciech


On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 08:08, Saini, Naveen Kumar <naveen.kumar.saini@...> wrote:


> -----Original Message-----
> From: yocto@... <yocto@...> On
> Behalf Of Jon Mason
> Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:00 AM
> To: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
> Cc: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>; yocto@...
> Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc: set
> default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Zbigniew Bodek
> <zbigniew.bodek@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Jon,
> >
> > Thanks for your comment. I will try to answer.
> > This change is to include following bug fix:
> > https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/33251
> > I can also see we've had multiple RC versions in the past but in principle, I'm
> not against your suggestion to have master-next, etc. So where should we go
> from here?
>
> My recommendation would be to pull that patch out and apply it directly on
> top of v2.5.0 (assuming that is feasible).  Maybe even asking the upstream
> zephyr project to port this to v2.5.0 and make it
> v2.5.1 would be the optimal solution.

[Naveen]  We can wait for stable release. If it is urgent, we can carry patches for bug fixes,  in case upstream does not give dot release !

> As far as a master-next branch, that would be up to Naveen.
>
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Zbigniew
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Jon Mason [mailto:jdmason@...]
> > Sent: 18 May, 2021 17:17
> > To: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>
> > Cc: yocto@...; Zbigniew Bodek
> > <zbigniew.bodek@...>
> > Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc:
> > set default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1
> >
> > On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
> > >
> > > Signed-off-by: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
> >
> > Do we really want to have Zephyr on a release candidate?  IMHO, we
> should never be doing this, as we should want the kernel in meta-zephyr to
> be as stable as possible.  If this is really desired, perhaps a master-next
> branch for things like this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
> >
> > > ---
> > >  recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc | 2 +-
> > >  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
> > >
> > > diff --git a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
> > > b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
> > > index 5ee40d4..9fc08ba 100644
> > > --- a/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
> > > +++ b/recipes-kernel/zephyr-kernel/zephyr-kernel-src.inc
> > > @@ -2,7 +2,7 @@ LICENSE = "Apache-2.0"
> > >  LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
> "file://LICENSE;md5=fa818a259cbed7ce8bc2a22d35a464fc"
> > >
> > >  # Default to a stable version
> > > -PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.5.0"
> > > +PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel ??= "2.6.0-rc1"
> > >  include zephyr-kernel-src-${PREFERRED_VERSION_zephyr-kernel}.inc
> > >
> > >  inherit cmake
> > > --
> > > 2.25.1
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >


Andrei Gherzan
 

Hi,

On Wed, 19 May 2021, at 07:08, Naveen Saini wrote:


> -----Original Message-----
> From: yocto@... <yocto@...> On
> Behalf Of Jon Mason
> Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:00 AM
> To: Zbigniew Bodek <zbigniew.bodek@...>
> Cc: Wojciech Zmuda <zmuda.w@...>; yocto@...
> Subject: Re: [yocto] [meta-zephyr][PATCH 2/2] zephyr-kernel-src.inc: set
> default preferred version to 2.6.0-rc1

> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Zbigniew Bodek
> >
> > Hello Jon,
> >
> > Thanks for your comment. I will try to answer.
> > This change is to include following bug fix:
> > I can also see we've had multiple RC versions in the past but in principle, I'm
> not against your suggestion to have master-next, etc. So where should we go
> from here?

> My recommendation would be to pull that patch out and apply it directly on
> top of v2.5.0 (assuming that is feasible).  Maybe even asking the upstream
> zephyr project to port this to v2.5.0 and make it
> v2.5.1 would be the optimal solution.

[Naveen]  We can wait for stable release. If it is urgent, we can carry patches for bug fixes,  in case upstream does not give dot release !

Even if we don't have the 2.6.0-rc1 release default (to which I agree), I still think having support for it (as a non default) is beneficial. Especially given that 2.6.0 will be an LTS so people might want early (opt-in) support for the time being.

-- 
Andrei Gherzan 
gpg: rsa4096/D4D94F67AD0E9640