Topics

Points to consider while moving to new yocto versions

Martin Jansa

Yes, there are significant diffferences in gcc, see:

The recipes in public layers were already fixed at that time, but if you have a lot of your own C/C++ code in your builds, then expect some fixes needed.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 10:11 AM amaya jindal <amayajindal786@...> wrote:
Thankyou for your comments and guidance.

Currently i am trying to first move from krogoth version of yocto to rocko version first that will suffice our requirements but i need to understand whether any major difference is there in gcc 4.9.3 vs gcc 6.4. As krogoth is usin gcc 4.9.3 /5.3 recipe but rocko is using 6.4/7.x as recipe for gcc source compilation. Please guide.

Regards,
Rohit Jindal

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM Robert Berger@... <robert.berger.yocto.user@...> wrote:
Hi,

My comments are in-line

On 25/01/2021 10:07, amaya jindal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are planning to move to New yocto from current one that is krogoth
> yocto to some updated one.

I would consider it "best practice" to somewhat try to stay up to date
with recent yocto versions and plan for this from the beginning of your
project.

What I mean is to have a "stable release" and a "next release" which is
being used in your nightly builds and tests.

This will make it significantly easier to make version upgrades.

> We are not thinking to move to gates-garth or
> some other major release but the releases than can have easily support
> for arm.

I am not sure what you mean by that?

Which versions make it easier/more difficult to support arm?

It's more a question of which chip/kernel/boot loader,...

> Please support and help.
>
> Points need to take care to port to new yocto version.

Ssince you use a completely outdated and end of life version[1] it might
require quite some effort to update, but through pain we learn ;)

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases

Which chip do you use?

Is it supported by an upstream kernel/boot loader?

Which (additional) layers do you use?

Are these layers supported by the same version as the Yocto version you
want to move to?

How about your own recipes?

Are they compatible with upstream yocto?

> Regards,
> Rohit

Regards,

Robert

amaya jindal

Thankyou for your comments and guidance.

Currently i am trying to first move from krogoth version of yocto to rocko version first that will suffice our requirements but i need to understand whether any major difference is there in gcc 4.9.3 vs gcc 6.4. As krogoth is usin gcc 4.9.3 /5.3 recipe but rocko is using 6.4/7.x as recipe for gcc source compilation. Please guide.

Regards,
Rohit Jindal

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM Robert Berger@... <robert.berger.yocto.user@...> wrote:
Hi,

My comments are in-line

On 25/01/2021 10:07, amaya jindal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are planning to move to New yocto from current one that is krogoth
> yocto to some updated one.

I would consider it "best practice" to somewhat try to stay up to date
with recent yocto versions and plan for this from the beginning of your
project.

What I mean is to have a "stable release" and a "next release" which is
being used in your nightly builds and tests.

This will make it significantly easier to make version upgrades.

> We are not thinking to move to gates-garth or
> some other major release but the releases than can have easily support
> for arm.

I am not sure what you mean by that?

Which versions make it easier/more difficult to support arm?

It's more a question of which chip/kernel/boot loader,...

> Please support and help.
>
> Points need to take care to port to new yocto version.

Ssince you use a completely outdated and end of life version[1] it might
require quite some effort to update, but through pain we learn ;)

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases

Which chip do you use?

Is it supported by an upstream kernel/boot loader?

Which (additional) layers do you use?

Are these layers supported by the same version as the Yocto version you
want to move to?

How about your own recipes?

Are they compatible with upstream yocto?

> Regards,
> Rohit

Regards,

Robert

Robert Berger

[...]

Erik Boto

Hi,

I'd start by looking at the relevant documentation section,
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#general-migration-considerations.
There you can also find a per-release summary of changes that are
worth knowing when moving to that release.

Moving from krogoth to e.g. gatesgarth is quite a jump, so I'd expect
that it might require some effort. If you don't intend to follow along
new version, you might want to consider using dunfell which is the
current LTS version.

Cheers,
Erik

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM amaya jindal <amayajindal786@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

We are planning to move to New yocto from current one that is krogoth yocto to some updated one. We are not thinking to move to gates-garth or some other major release but the releases than can have easily support for arm.