#yocto #yocto

Monsees, Steven C (US)

I was going through the kernel boot output and saw the following output, can someone tell me why this might be popping up and how I might modify configuration to resolve? :

.

.

LIMWS (BAE LIMWS base distro) 3.0.4 sbcb-default ttyS0

-sh: cannot set terminal process group (1137): Inappropriate ioctl for device

-sh: no job control in this shell

.

.

Thanks,

Steve

Randy MacLeod

On 2020-11-18 8:08 a.m., Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
I was going through the kernel boot output and saw the following output, can someone tell me why this might be popping up and how I might modify configuration to resolve? :
.
.
LIMWS (BAE LIMWS base distro) 3.0.4 sbcb-default ttyS0
-sh: cannot set terminal process group (1137): Inappropriate ioctl for device
-sh: no job control in this shell
Hi Steve,

Can you describe your build host and environment and what steps you
take to encounter this error? Does it happen with poky/gatesgarth?

What happens if you follow the steps for:

http://docs.yoctoproject.org/brief-yoctoprojectqs/brief-yoctoprojectqs.html

../Randy
.
.
Thanks,
Steve

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

Monsees, Steven C (US)

Intel based platform, quick build under "zeus" does not show issue...

I do not see issue under "rocko"...
Currently porting "rocko" to "zeus", Gatesgarth port is next after zeus runs clean...

I am assuming this banner is part of Yocto, are you now attempting to reserve/use a serial device (ttyS0) here ?

Can you possibly point me as to where this is being done ?, and is this a configurable option ?

Thanks,
Steve

EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our organization.

On 2020-11-18 8:08 a.m., Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
[...]

I still haven’t been able to track this down, can someone tell me in what package is the banner output generated ?

Thanks,

Steve

EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our organization.

I was going through the kernel boot output and saw the following output, can someone tell me why this might be popping up and how I might modify configuration to resolve? :

.

.

LIMWS (BAE LIMWS base distro) 3.0.4 sbcb-default ttyS0

-sh: cannot set terminal process group (1137): Inappropriate ioctl for device

-sh: no job control in this shell

.

.

Thanks,

Steve

Nicolas Jeker

Hi Steve

On Tue, 2020-12-01 at 20:06 +0000, Monsees, Steven C (US) via
lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:

I still haven’t been able to track this down, can someone tell me in
what package is the banner output generated ?
I'm not sure to what lines you refer by "banner", so I just wrote my
thoughts to both below.

Both are probably produced by getty, either util-linux-agetty or
systemd-getty.

Thanks,
Steve
EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our
organization.

I was going through the kernel boot output and saw the following
output, can someone tell me why this might be popping up and how I
might modify configuration to resolve? :
.
.
LIMWS (BAE LIMWS base distro) 3.0.4 sbcb-default ttyS0
This "banner" output is the content of /etc/issue (which gets installed
by the base-file package).

-sh: cannot set terminal process group (1137): Inappropriate ioctl
for device
-sh: no job control in this shell
.
The error you see about the shell is probably getty failing to open a
shell.

Maybe this could be relevant:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/338214/error-trying-to-run-agetty-in-a-runit-based-linux-installation

.