Topics

File collision: same path from 2 recipes

Mauro Ziliani

Hi all.

There is a QA to test if 2 recipes try to install a file with the same path?

In my BSP 2 recipes try install the file ${D}/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

I'd like receive an error from bitbale

Best regards,

   MZ

Laurent Gauthier

Hi Mauro,

From my experience there should be an error reported during the image creation as long as the two *packages* that contain a file with the same name are BOTH installed in the root filesystem.

If you don't receive an error I would suspect that for some reason the file is really only installed by one of the two packages.

Another source of your issue is that there can be more than one package created by one recipe, and maybe you are not installing the package which contains the contentious file.

Kind Regards, Laurent.

--
Laurent Gauthier
Embedded Linux Systems & Software

Robert P. J. Day

Quoting Laurent Gauthier <laurent.gauthier@soccasys.com>:

Hi Mauro,

From my experience there should be an error reported during the image
creation as long as the two *packages* that contain a file with the same
name are BOTH installed in the root filesystem.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 2:08 PM Mauro Ziliani <mauro@faresoftware.it> wrote:

Hi all.

There is a QA to test if 2 recipes try to install a file with the same
path?

In my BSP 2 recipes try install the file
${D}/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

I'd like receive an error from bitbale
I was just about to weigh in on this as I was just educated by
Richard Purdie as to the (im)proper use of SSTATE_DUPWHITELIST.
If two packages were truly trying to install the same file, I would
have assumed that you would have received an error to that effect,
so the fact that you aren't suggests one of:

* they're not really trying to install the same file
* you're installing only one of the packages
* perhaps there is a do_install_append() that is manually
removing the conflicting file from one of the recipes

My opinion, FWIW.

rday

Mauro Ziliani

Thanks for your help.

I'm working with an old Krogoth.

This checks is true even with Krogoth?

MZ

Il 29/09/20 14:17, Laurent Gauthier ha scritto:

Hi Mauro,

From my experience there should be an error reported during the image creation as long as the two *packages* that contain a file with the same name are BOTH installed in the root filesystem.

[...]

I would guess so.

Here is a way to figure out all the packages in which your file is delivered (small trick that has proven quite useful for me to figure out which recipe/package provides a specific file):

1. cd <your-build-directory>
2. echo tmp/work/*/*/*/packages-split/*/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

This will show you which packages have the file "/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart".

If you just want to check which recipe installs it (in case it is installed by the recipe, but not packaged):

1. cd <your-build-directory>
2. echo tmp/work/*/*/*/package/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Laurent.

PS: in some configurations of your build you might have to adjust the name of the "tmp" directory.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Mauro Ziliani <mauro@...> wrote:

Thanks for your help.

I'm working with an old Krogoth.

This checks is true even with Krogoth?

MZ

Il 29/09/20 14:17, Laurent Gauthier ha scritto:
Hi Mauro,

From my experience there should be an error reported during the image creation as long as the two *packages* that contain a file with the same name are BOTH installed in the root filesystem.

[...]

Quentin Schulz

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 02:56:28PM +0200, Laurent Gauthier wrote:
I would guess so.

Here is a way to figure out all the packages in which your file is
delivered (small trick that has proven quite useful for me to figure out
which recipe/package provides a specific file):

1. cd <your-build-directory>
2. echo tmp/work/*/*/*/packages-split/*/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

This will show you which packages have the file
"/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart".

If you just want to check which recipe installs it (in case it is installed
by the recipe, but not packaged):

1. cd <your-build-directory>
2. echo tmp/work/*/*/*/package/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart
If available in krogoth,
`oe-pkdata-util find-path /etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart` does
this exact thing :)

Quentin

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Mauro Ziliani <mauro@faresoftware.it> wrote:

Thanks for your help.

I'm working with an old Krogoth.

This checks is true even with Krogoth?

MZ
Il 29/09/20 14:17, Laurent Gauthier ha scritto:

Hi Mauro,

From my experience there should be an error reported during the image

wrote:

Hi all.

There is a QA to test if 2 recipes try to install a file with the same
path?

In my BSP 2 recipes try install the file
${D}/etc/network/if-up,d/hostapd_restart

I'd like receive an error from bitbale

Best regards,

MZ

--
Laurent Gauthier
Embedded Linux Systems & Software
Phone: +33 630 483 429
http://soccasys.com

--
Laurent Gauthier
Embedded Linux Systems & Software
Phone: +33 630 483 429
http://soccasys.com

--
StreamUnlimited Engineering GmbH
High Tech Campus Vienna, Gutheil-Schoder-Gasse 10, 1100 Vienna, Austria

Laurent Gauthier

Hehe, who needs a new command when you have already have "echo" :-)

--
quentin.schulz@..., www.streamunlimited.com