Topics

#yocto #linux #systemd Having issues building command line utilities: ntpq, timedatectl, and ntpstat into kernel image #yocto #systemd #linux

Monsees, Steven C (US)

I am trying to build an image with the following command line utilities built in: ntpq, timedatectl, and ntpstat.

Note : ntp is builtinto my image and working correctly.

I performed a simple test using “IMAGE_INSTALL_append = “ ntpq”, get no errors but the command is NOT present upon booting the image (same for the other 2).

I am working with Rocko 2.4.1, ntp 4.2.8p10.

Can you tell me (1) if they are supported, (2) how to pull them into my image so I might run from kernel ?

Thanks,

Steve

Monsees, Steven C (US)

I currently have "ntpq" building and installing correctly...

Can someone tell me what it takes to get the "timedatectl" command utility built into Yocto kernel image ?

I see it referenced in both :

openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \
poky/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \

but have yet to figure out how to get the command built and transferred to the kernel image.

Thanks,
Steve

Quentin Schulz

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:45:56AM -0700, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
I currently have "ntpq" building and installing correctly...

Can someone tell me what it takes to get the "timedatectl" command utility built into Yocto kernel image ?

I see it referenced in both :

openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \
poky/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \
It comes with systemd. Use it as your init system and then you'll have the command.

Quentin

Monsees, Steven C (US)

Is there documentation on how to set this up ?

EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our organization.

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:45:56AM -0700, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
I currently have "ntpq" building and installing correctly...

Can someone tell me what it takes to get the "timedatectl" command utility built into Yocto kernel image ?

I see it referenced in both :

openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \
poky/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb:                ${bindir}/timedatectl \
It comes with systemd. Use it as your init system and then you'll have the command.

Quentin

Monsees, Steven C (US)

Currently not using system as our default init system (investigating why but this might not be an option).

Is there any other utility I might use under Yocto to get similar data as that produced by timedatectl ?

Thanks,
Steve

Khem Raj

what all functionality are you looking for. E.g. there is date utility
and hwclock utility which can help you manipulate system time. you
could also look into ntpd and/or chrony for Network time setting etc.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM Monsees, Steven C (US) via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<steven.monsees=baesystems.com@...> wrote:

Currently not using system as our default init system (investigating why but this might not be an option).

Is there any other utility I might use under Yocto to get similar data as that produced by timedatectl ?

Thanks,
Steve

Zoran

Is there documentation on how to set this up ?
Please, try this:

https://github.com/ZoranStojsavljevic/bbb-yocto/blob/master/bbb-releases/bbb-dunfell/local.conf

This is the systemd addendum in my BBB Dunfell local.conf :

## Add systemd service
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED += "sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_dev_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""

With systemd added, you'll inherit timedatectl tool.

Best Regards,
Zoran
_______

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:57 PM Monsees, Steven C (US) via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<steven.monsees=baesystems.com@...> wrote:

Is there documentation on how to set this up ?

EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our organization.

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 08:45:56AM -0700, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
I currently have "ntpq" building and installing correctly...

Can someone tell me what it takes to get the "timedatectl" command utility built into Yocto kernel image ?

I see it referenced in both :

openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb: ${bindir}/timedatectl \
poky/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd_234.bb: ${bindir}/timedatectl \
It comes with systemd. Use it as your init system and then you'll have the command.

Quentin

Monsees, Steven C (US)

Thanks...

Yesterday I decided to go with ntpq/ntpdate/and a ntpstat script which does some basic stats through ntpd/ntpq/ntpdate and Chrony. We will see how it goes might be enough...

Steve