Topics

poky-dunfell-23.0.2: WARNING: Your host glibc verson (2.32) is newer than that in uninative (2.31). Disabling uninative so that sstate is not corrupted.

Robert

Hello list,

The warning in the subject has turned into an error.

I'm building a Yocto project based on poky-dunfell-23.0.2

I get this error:
ERROR: dpkg-native-1.19.7-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed

| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c: In function ‘test_strsignal’:
| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c:71:10: error: ‘sys_siglist’ undeclared (first use in this function)
|    71 |   return sys_siglist[s];

I found the reason for this error:
Release notes of glibc 2.32:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-announce/2020/000029.html

* The deprecated arrays sys_siglist, _sys_siglist, and sys_sigabbrev
  are no longer available to newly linked binaries, and their declarations
  have been removed from <string.h>.  They are exported solely as
  compatibility symbols to support old binaries.  All programs should use
  strsignal instead.

To solve it I could downgrade the glibc library version of my system (general consensus on forums is that, that is a bad idea).
Other option:
In the master branch I find a recipe for dpkg 1.20.5, can I simply upgrade the dpkg version (1.19.7) in the dunfell release with the master branch version (1.20.5)?
Could it break anything and how do I know it will solve my problem? Other then try it.
Or is there another solution?

uname -rmo
Linux 5.4.64-1-MANJARO  x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Robert.

Martin Jansa

For uninative you can just use latest dunfell with

For dpkg you can just try latest, but I'm not seeing it failing with glibc-2.32 in ubuntu-20.04, something else might be wrong/different in your setup.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM Robert <pwr@...> wrote:
Hello list,

The warning in the subject has turned into an error.

I'm building a Yocto project based on poky-dunfell-23.0.2

I get this error:
ERROR: dpkg-native-1.19.7-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed

| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c: In function ‘test_strsignal’:
| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c:71:10: error: ‘sys_siglist’ undeclared (first use in this function)
|    71 |   return sys_siglist[s];

I found the reason for this error:
Release notes of glibc 2.32:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-announce/2020/000029.html

* The deprecated arrays sys_siglist, _sys_siglist, and sys_sigabbrev
  are no longer available to newly linked binaries, and their declarations
  have been removed from <string.h>.  They are exported solely as
  compatibility symbols to support old binaries.  All programs should use
  strsignal instead.

To solve it I could downgrade the glibc library version of my system (general consensus on forums is that, that is a bad idea).
Other option:
In the master branch I find a recipe for dpkg 1.20.5, can I simply upgrade the dpkg version (1.19.7) in the dunfell release with the master branch version (1.20.5)?
Could it break anything and how do I know it will solve my problem? Other then try it.
Or is there another solution?

uname -rmo
Linux 5.4.64-1-MANJARO  x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Robert.

Robert

I tried the latest uninative from the same link, it will remove the warning but it doesn't solve the problem.
If something else is wrong/different I would very much like a suggestion where to start looking for this difference.
Finding something that isn't there is not easy :-\

On 28-09-2020 04:07, Martin Jansa wrote:
For uninative you can just use latest dunfell with

For dpkg you can just try latest, but I'm not seeing it failing with glibc-2.32 in ubuntu-20.04, something else might be wrong/different in your setup.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM Robert <pwr@...> wrote:
Hello list,

The warning in the subject has turned into an error.

I'm building a Yocto project based on poky-dunfell-23.0.2

I get this error:
ERROR: dpkg-native-1.19.7-r0 do_compile: oe_runmake failed

| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c: In function ‘test_strsignal’:
| ../../../dpkg-1.19.7/lib/compat/strsignal.c:71:10: error: ‘sys_siglist’ undeclared (first use in this function)
|    71 |   return sys_siglist[s];

I found the reason for this error:
Release notes of glibc 2.32:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-announce/2020/000029.html

* The deprecated arrays sys_siglist, _sys_siglist, and sys_sigabbrev
  are no longer available to newly linked binaries, and their declarations
  have been removed from <string.h>.  They are exported solely as
  compatibility symbols to support old binaries.  All programs should use
  strsignal instead.

To solve it I could downgrade the glibc library version of my system (general consensus on forums is that, that is a bad idea).
Other option:
In the master branch I find a recipe for dpkg 1.20.5, can I simply upgrade the dpkg version (1.19.7) in the dunfell release with the master branch version (1.20.5)?
Could it break anything and how do I know it will solve my problem? Other then try it.
Or is there another solution?

uname -rmo
Linux 5.4.64-1-MANJARO  x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Robert.

Richard Purdie

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 10:34 +0200, Robert wrote:
I tried the latest uninative from the same link, it will remove the
warning but it doesn't solve the problem.
If something else is wrong/different I would very much like a
suggestion where to start looking for this difference.
Finding something that isn't there is not easy :-\
You could try backporting:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=94b1d77472ad335f26ca4ea6ec8c5b399368c06e

Martin Jansa

I was able to reproduce this in one of my build setups and confirm that backporting this commit helps (and haven't found any other issues while building our images).

I've sent the backport request now.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:46 PM Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...> wrote:
On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 10:34 +0200, Robert wrote:
> I tried the latest uninative from the same link, it will remove the
> warning but it doesn't solve the problem.
> If something else is wrong/different I would very much like a
> suggestion where to start looking for this difference.
> Finding something that isn't there is not easy :-\

You could try backporting:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=94b1d77472ad335f26ca4ea6ec8c5b399368c06e

Robert

Correct, I can also confirm the backport works in getting it compiled.
Thanks.