Topics

inconsistencies with selecting systemd as init manager?


Robert P. J. Day
 

just noticed that, given that since YP 3.0 one could select systemd
as the init manager via the single variable INIT_MANAGER, which pulled
in init-manager-systemd.inc:

# Use systemd for system initialization
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED_append = " sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ??= "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ??= "systemd-compat-units"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ??= "shadow-base"

this doesn't quite seem to match this snippet from
meta/lib/oeqa/selftest/cases/imagefeatures.py:

# Switch to systemd
DISTRO_FEATURES += "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager = "shadow-base"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"

not sure if that second snippet could be replaced with a simple
assignment to INIT_MANAGER or whether those two snippets are
effectively equivalent ... i'll let someone else make that call.

rday

--

========================================================================
Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
========================================================================


Nicolas Dechesne
 



On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:18 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@...> wrote:

  just noticed that, given that since YP 3.0 one could select systemd
as the init manager via the single variable INIT_MANAGER, which pulled
in init-manager-systemd.inc:

# Use systemd for system initialization
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED_append = " sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ??= "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ??= "systemd-compat-units"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ??= "shadow-base"

INIT_MANAGER was added in 3.0, see:


  this doesn't quite seem to match this snippet from
meta/lib/oeqa/selftest/cases/imagefeatures.py:

# Switch to systemd
DISTRO_FEATURES += "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager = "shadow-base"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"

this is the 'old' (pre 3.0) method, and it can (and should) be replaced with INIT_MANAGER, i believe.


  not sure if that second snippet could be replaced with a simple
assignment to INIT_MANAGER or whether those two snippets are
effectively equivalent ... i'll let someone else make that call.

rday

--

========================================================================
Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
                         http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
========================================================================


Robert P. J. Day
 

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:



On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:18 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

  just noticed that, given that since YP 3.0 one could select systemd
as the init manager via the single variable INIT_MANAGER, which pulled
in init-manager-systemd.inc:

# Use systemd for system initialization
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED_append = " sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ??= "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ??= "systemd-compat-units"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ??= "shadow-base"


INIT_MANAGER was added in 3.0, see:
https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=8d0b4704a526a48cd5e67df6
1b613424bbbdccde
i know, that's what i mentioned above.

  this doesn't quite seem to match this snippet from
meta/lib/oeqa/selftest/cases/imagefeatures.py:

# Switch to systemd
DISTRO_FEATURES += "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager = "shadow-base"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"


this is the 'old' (pre 3.0) method, and it can (and should) be
replaced with INIT_MANAGER, i believe.
i suspected as much, i just wanted to point out that those two
snippets are not *exactly* equivalent so someone should make sure that
INIT_MANAGER usage is precisely defined.

rday


Khem Raj
 

On 4/23/20 5:14 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:



On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:18 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

  just noticed that, given that since YP 3.0 one could select systemd
as the init manager via the single variable INIT_MANAGER, which pulled
in init-manager-systemd.inc:

# Use systemd for system initialization
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED_append = " sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager ??= "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts ??= "systemd-compat-units"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager ??= "shadow-base"


INIT_MANAGER was added in 3.0, see:
https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=8d0b4704a526a48cd5e67df6
1b613424bbbdccde
i know, that's what i mentioned above.

  this doesn't quite seem to match this snippet from
meta/lib/oeqa/selftest/cases/imagefeatures.py:

# Switch to systemd
DISTRO_FEATURES += "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog = ""
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_login_manager = "shadow-base"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"


this is the 'old' (pre 3.0) method, and it can (and should) be
replaced with INIT_MANAGER, i believe.
i suspected as much, i just wanted to point out that those two
snippets are not *exactly* equivalent so someone should make sure that
INIT_MANAGER usage is precisely defined.
perhaps imagefeatures.py should be updated to sync with INIT_MANAGER
settings.


rday