Topics

FYI: Why people are using #hashtags in yocto email subjects. #hashtags

Randy MacLeod

FYI:

I don't know if I missed the memo/tweet about the email archive feature
but I just noticed that the new archive site will index emails
by hashtag:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/hashtags

I thought it was an annoying new behaviour coming from Twitter users
but now I understand why there are hashtags on my lawn^Hsubject lines.

;-)

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

Denys Dmytriyenko

I doubt people that actually send emails to the list use #hashtags.

But the new list server provides this posting feature for anyone to address
the list and requests poster to add #hashtags - very annoying, indeed:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/post

--
Denys

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 03:18:34PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
FYI:

I don't know if I missed the memo/tweet about the email archive feature
but I just noticed that the new archive site will index emails
by hashtag:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/hashtags

I thought it was an annoying new behaviour coming from Twitter users
but now I understand why there are hashtags on my lawn^Hsubject lines.

;-)

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

Nicolas Dechesne

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 9:36 PM Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@...> wrote:
I doubt people that actually send emails to the list use #hashtags.

But the new list server provides this posting feature for anyone to address
the list and requests poster to add #hashtags - very annoying, indeed:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/post

there is that. And looking at the history on the server, most of the existing tags came from the web. But a hashtag is created automatically when using '#' in the email subject. that's how #define was created:

and this email created #hashtags ;-)

I haven't found a way to disable it.. from what I can see we can
1. force every message to have at least one hashtag...
2. bounce message with a new hashtag in $subject
3. remove new hashtag when used in $subject

I think we will need to do some tests to see what #3 does.. But in any case, I don't think we can prevent users from creating hashtags from the web..

Is that causing any issues with patches workflow?

--
Denys

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 03:18:34PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
> FYI:
>
> I don't know if I missed the memo/tweet about the email archive feature
> but I just noticed that the new archive site will index emails
> by hashtag:
>
>    https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto
>
>    https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/hashtags
>
> I thought it was an annoying new behaviour coming from Twitter users
> but now I understand why there are hashtags on my lawn^Hsubject lines.
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> # Randy MacLeod
> # Wind River Linux

Randy MacLeod

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto/message/48686
and this email created #hashtags ;-)
I haven't found a way to disable it.. from what I can see we can
1. force every message to have at least one hashtag...
2. bounce message with a new hashtag in $subject
3. remove new hashtag when used in $subject
I don't think we need to change anything.
I found it annoying at first because I didn't know about the
archive tagging feature.
I think we will need to do some tests to see what #3 does.. But in any case, I don't think we can prevent users from creating hashtags from the web..
Is that causing any issues with patches workflow?
I am not aware of any workflow problems.

../Randy
--

--
# Randy MacLeod