Topics

#raspberrypi #raspberrypi

Khem Raj

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM <wojciech.st@tutanota.com> wrote:

Problem with rootfs boot on my raspberrypi.

Hi
I am building simple image for my raspbery pi 3 A+ and connect to the pi via USB-UART converter and see the following in the console
[ 2.071459] Run /bin/init as init process
[ 2.076507] Run /bin/sh as init process
sh: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
sh: no job control in this shell
sh-4.4#

I build with the "bitbake core-image-base" and tried to run it on rpi 3A+, 3B, 3B+ and the problem is always the same it cannot switch to the rootfs on the sd card it seem like it stack at initramfs or some middle ground.

I burn the *.rpi-sdimg image to SD card with dd from my Ubuntu16.04 host machine.
I tried with two branches thud and warrior and the problem is exactly the same.
The strange thing is that in this initramfs there are no tools like find grep modprobe etc. but I see my extra tools "i2c-tools vim"

Here is my local.conf adjustments:
MACHINE ?= "raspberrypi3"
ENABLE_I2C = "1"
ENABLE_UART = "1"
IMAGE_INSTALL += "i2c-tools vim"
Can you turn this into
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " i2c-tools vim"

and the bblayer.conf
BBLAYERS ?= " \
/media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta \
/media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta-poky \
/media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
/media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
/media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/meta-raspberrypi \
"

I tried also to build with the deprecated image "bitbake rpi-basic-image" but then I did not get my extra tools "i2c-tools vim".

Anyone have any idea what can be wrong with my approach ?

Regards,

Wojciech

Stefano Babic

Hi Khem, Wojciech,

On 17/12/19 05:48, Khem Raj wrote:
[...]

Strange enough, I had the same behaviour a couple of days ago but I
thought it was something on my setup. I built core-iage-full-cmdline on
TOT, and systemd as init manager. The issue was due because adding
"userland", bash was added due RDEPENDS to the image and busybox with
all related tools was dropped. After removing bash from image, it works
again - but I have not git-bisect to check which is the cause.

Regards,
Stefano

Regards,

Wojciech

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de

wojciech.st@...

Hi Khem

Replacing
IMAGE_INSTALL += "i2c-tools vim"
with
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " i2c-tools vim"

in my local.conf solve the problem.

More than half of the sources were rebuild.

Thanks a lot.

Now I found also the info in the manual "Using IMAGE_INSTALL with the += operator from the /conf/local.conf file or from within an image recipe is not recommended as it can cause ordering issues."

Regards,

Wojciech

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:
https://tutanota.com

Dec 17, 2019, 05:48 by raj.khem@...:

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 1:15 AM Stefano Babic <sbabic@...> wrote:
Hi Khem, Wojciech,

On 17/12/19 05:48, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM <wojciech.st@...> wrote:
>>
>> Problem with rootfs boot on my raspberrypi.
>>
>> Hi
>> I am building simple image for my raspbery pi 3 A+ and connect to the pi via USB-UART converter and see the following in the console
>> [ 2.071459] Run /bin/init as init process
>> [ 2.076507] Run /bin/sh as init process
>> sh: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> sh: no job control in this shell
>> sh-4.4#
>>

>> I build with the "bitbake core-image-base" and tried to run it on rpi 3A+, 3B, 3B+ and the problem is always the same it cannot switch to the rootfs on the sd card it seem like it stack at initramfs or some middle ground.
>>
>> I burn the *.rpi-sdimg image to SD card with dd from my Ubuntu16.04 host machine.
>> I tried with two branches thud and warrior and the problem is exactly the same.
>> The strange thing is that in this initramfs there are no tools like find grep modprobe etc. but I see my extra tools "i2c-tools vim"
>>
>> Here is my local.conf adjustments:
>> MACHINE ?= "raspberrypi3"
>> ENABLE_I2C = "1"
>> ENABLE_UART = "1"
>> IMAGE_INSTALL += "i2c-tools vim"
>
> Can you turn this into
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " i2c-tools vim"
>

>> and the bblayer.conf
>> BBLAYERS ?= " \
>>   /media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta \
>>   /media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta-poky \
>>   /media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
>>   /media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
>>   /media/dave/Develop/yoctopi/warrior/sources/meta-raspberrypi \
>>   "
>>
>> I tried also to build with the deprecated image "bitbake rpi-basic-image" but then I did not get my extra tools "i2c-tools vim".
>>
>> Anyone have any idea what can be wrong with my approach ?

Strange enough, I had the same behaviour a couple of days ago but I
thought it was something on my setup. I built core-iage-full-cmdline on
TOT, and systemd as init manager. The issue was due because adding
"userland", bash was added due RDEPENDS to the image and busybox with
all related tools was dropped. After removing bash from image, it works
again - but I have not git-bisect to check which is the cause.

This would be a serious problem can you dive into it and see if we missed some Symlink

Regards,
Stefano