Correct procedure for rebuilding after a git pull


Jim Abernathy
 

So I'm looking for the right way to do this.  Here's the scenario.  I do a complete build of the image core-image-cdv-media for the cedartrail machine.  No changes from the basic BSP, except for the addition of my meta-layer that include test audios and videos to help test the media playback using gst-launch.  I'm tracking the latest Denzil branch.  So everything works well to this point.
 
Now I see a bunch of patches pushed to Denzil branch and I want to test them.  My build directory is untouched since the successful build before.  What do I do to rebuild my project to include the latest patches.  I've tried things like "bitbake -c cleansstate core-image-cdv-media" before the new "bitbake core-image-cdv-media" and I've tried just rebaking by itself.  Something always fails.  I've learned that to really test I have to completely delete my build directory saving only my local.conf and bblayer.conf.
 
Am I missing something or is a complete rebuild the only way to get the new patches in and a successful build??
 
Jim A
 


Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...>
 

On 3 October 2012 14:05, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@...> wrote:
Now I see a bunch of patches pushed to Denzil branch and I want to test
them. My build directory is untouched since the successful build before.
What do I do to rebuild my project to include the latest patches. I've
tried things like "bitbake -c cleansstate core-image-cdv-media" before the
new "bitbake core-image-cdv-media" and I've tried just rebaking by itself.
Something always fails. I've learned that to really test I have to
completely delete my build directory saving only my local.conf and
bblayer.conf.
Just git pull ; bitbake should work -- all of the packages that
changed will rebuild without any problems.

That's the theory, and everyone who works against oe-core/poky master
does this ever day (including me).

Can you give an example of something that fails?

Ross


Jim Abernathy
 



On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...> wrote:
On 3 October 2012 14:05, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@...> wrote:
> Now I see a bunch of patches pushed to Denzil branch and I want to test
> them.  My build directory is untouched since the successful build before.
> What do I do to rebuild my project to include the latest patches.  I've
> tried things like "bitbake -c cleansstate core-image-cdv-media" before the
> new "bitbake core-image-cdv-media" and I've tried just rebaking by itself.
> Something always fails.  I've learned that to really test I have to
> completely delete my build directory saving only my local.conf and
> bblayer.conf.

Just git pull ; bitbake should work -- all of the packages that
changed will rebuild without any problems.

That's the theory, and everyone who works against oe-core/poky master
does this ever day (including me).

Can you give an example of something that fails?
 
The most recent patch update to Denzil included some Cedartrail BSP updates to the CDV PVR driver.  I was traveling last week and I was out of date on my poky and meta-intel by at least that long.  Monday was the pull.  So when the rebuild happened, I got a cdv-pvr driver configuration error.  I didn't look into why because of my experience of this taking longer than a complete rebuild.  So I deleted the build directory and did the rebuild.  And I didn't get the error on the rebuild.  Everything still works fine for me on that BSP.
 
Jim A
 
Ross


Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...>
 

On 3 October 2012 14:37, Jack Mitchell <ml@...> wrote:
I also use this work flow. If something goes wrong with a particular package
then I will -c cleansstate failed-package and then start the build again.
This usually fixes it.
Bringing the failure on on the list / bug would be appreciated,
everything *should* rebuild cleanly (especially with recent changes in
master).

Ross


Jack Mitchell <ml@...>
 

On 03/10/12 14:27, James Abernathy wrote:


On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@... <mailto:ross.burton@...>>wrote:

On 3 October 2012 14:05, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@...
<mailto:jfabernathy@...>> wrote:
> Now I see a bunch of patches pushed to Denzil branch and I want
to test
> them. My build directory is untouched since the successful
build before.
> What do I do to rebuild my project to include the latest
patches. I've
> tried things like "bitbake -c cleansstate core-image-cdv-media"
before the
> new "bitbake core-image-cdv-media" and I've tried just rebaking
by itself.
> Something always fails. I've learned that to really test I have to
> completely delete my build directory saving only my local.conf and
> bblayer.conf.

Just git pull ; bitbake should work -- all of the packages that
changed will rebuild without any problems.

That's the theory, and everyone who works against oe-core/poky master
does this ever day (including me).

Can you give an example of something that fails?

The most recent patch update to Denzil included some Cedartrail
BSP updates to the CDV PVR driver. I was traveling last week and
I was out of date on my poky and meta-intel by at least that
long. Monday was the pull. So when the rebuild happened, I got a
cdv-pvr driver configuration error. I didn't look into why
because of my experience of this taking longer than a complete
rebuild. So I deleted the build directory and did the rebuild. And I didn't get the error on the rebuild. Everything still works
fine for me on that BSP.

Jim A

Ross

I also use this work flow. If something goes wrong with a particular package then I will -c cleansstate failed-package and then start the build again. This usually fixes it.

Regards,



_______________________________________________
yocto mailing list
yocto@...
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/yocto

--

Jack Mitchell (jack@...)
Embedded Systems Engineer
http://www.embed.me.uk

--


Jack Mitchell <ml@...>
 

On 03/10/12 14:37, Burton, Ross wrote:
On 3 October 2012 14:37, Jack Mitchell <ml@...> wrote:
I also use this work flow. If something goes wrong with a particular package
then I will -c cleansstate failed-package and then start the build again.
This usually fixes it.
Bringing the failure on on the list / bug would be appreciated,
everything *should* rebuild cleanly (especially with recent changes in
master).

Ross
I'll bear that in mind.

I believe it was ext2fs that failed earlier today on my production build machine. Again a -c cleansstate fixed it and I didn't investigate so I can't add anything else!

Regards,

--

Jack Mitchell (jack@...)
Embedded Systems Engineer
http://www.embed.me.uk

--


Khem Raj
 

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Jack Mitchell <ml@...> wrote:

I'll bear that in mind.
that will help a lot in fixing sstate

I believe it was ext2fs that failed earlier today on my production build
machine. Again a -c cleansstate fixed it and I didn't investigate so I can't
add anything else!
cleansstate was a stop gap but should be avoided as much as possible.