Date

Re: yocto documentation: no content, no PDF?

Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...>

The mega-manual should have content like: at least one line for each chapter, so that we can have a big picture.

By the way, where is the "real docs"?

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...> wrote:
On 8 November 2017 at 15:41, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...> wrote:
Just wondering:
* As an active project, why yocto documentation does not provide a content (better be clickable)?

The megamanual (Complete Documentation) doesn't have a top-level table of contents as that basically exists to search globally.  The real docs (such as Tasks Manual) have a top level table of contents.

* Or PDF format for easy printing.

That would be massive.  The source is in git as docbook so it's fairly simple to generate a PDF.

Ross

Re: Annoying "rerun to fix" bug for bitbake: task failed, but rerun can fix it.

Ayoub Zaki <ayoub.zaki@...>

Hi,

On 08.11.2017 17:33, Burton, Ross wrote:
Well next time it happens feel free to reply to this thread. Otherwise you're asking us "fix my problem" without saying what the problem is.

Ross

On 8 November 2017 at 16:31, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@... <mailto:jerry.lian@...>> wrote:

So that is further tricky part:
* it may fail when finishing 20%, 40% 60%, 80%
* And the failure last time may not appear next time.
* So it just pop-up randomly

(By the way, I just build brand new PC with 16 threads CPU, 32G
memory, and install Ubuntu 16.4.3 with ESXI-6.5)
Do you have a Ryzen 7 based CPU ?!

In this case Ubuntu 16.4 with Linux kernel 4.4.x is know to be broken
You should upgrade your System with a recent kernel !!!

(so really confused)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Burton, Ross
<ross.burton@... <mailto:ross.burton@...>> wrote:

The autobuilder does about 50 builds a night using pure poky
and we don't see this, so again: what recipe and what errors?

Ross

On 8 November 2017 at 16:22, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...
<mailto:jerry.lian@...>> wrote:

I am not talking about my own layer or recipe.
It happens even when I run the demo QEMU/beaglebone builds.
(I just download poky, and make NO modifications)

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Eric Schwarz
<eas@... <mailto:eas@...>>
wrote:

Most likely a dependency problem of the package which
fails w/ exit code 1.
Check the dependencies in the recipe and w/ Yocto's
bitbake it self.

Cheers
Eric

Am 08.11.2017 16:49, schrieb Jerry Lian:

I am not sure whether it is a bug or an error: *
Quite often, bitbake will fail before finishing,
with message like: ... task failed with exit code
1... * But if you rerun bitbake, it will continue
to build. * So sometimes I have to rerun many
times for finish one build ---- annoying! (by the
way, my CPU can run 16 threads)

Any idea to clear this annoying bug? thanks.

Ayoub Zaki
Embedded Systems Consultant

Vaihinger Straße 2/1
D-71634 Ludwigsburg

Tel. : +4971415074546
Mobile : +4917662901545
Email : ayoub.zaki@...
Homepage : https://embexus.com
VAT No. : DE313902634

Re: Annoying "rerun to fix" bug for bitbake: task failed, but rerun can fix it.

Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...>

The failure doesn't happen for anyone else.  You're literally saying "it breaks" but not even saying what "it" is, or how "it" is breaking.

Ross

On 8 November 2017 at 16:38, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...> wrote:
Isn't my problem clear: the failure pop-up randomly!
Do you mean the random failure also help you for debugging?

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...> wrote:
On 8 November 2017 at 15:49, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...> wrote:
I am not sure whether it is a bug or an error:
* Quite often, bitbake will fail before finishing, with message like: ... task failed with exit code 1...
* But if you rerun bitbake, it will continue to build.
* So sometimes I have to rerun many times for finish one build ---- annoying!
(by the way, my CPU can run 16 threads)

If you tell us what recipe is failing, and what the actual error is, then we may be able to help.  Generally this is a bug in the makefiles that the recipe is building and not a problem with Yocto itself.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...> wrote:
> So according to what you said: the build will fail no matter what.
> But that is not my observation: my build succeed eventually (but you just
> need to rerun many times)!!!

ah. sorry, i missed that part. So then it's probably a bug in the
recipe, missing dependency or something along these lines. It would be
legit to report this bug then.

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Nicolas Dechesne
> <nicolas.dechesne@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...> wrote:
>> > I am not sure whether it is a bug or an error:
>> > * Quite often, bitbake will fail before finishing, with message like:
>> > task failed with exit code 1...
>> > * But if you rerun bitbake, it will continue to build.
>> > * So sometimes I have to rerun many times for finish one build ----
>> > annoying!
>> > (by the way, my CPU can run 16 threads)
>> >
>> > Any idea to clear this annoying bug?
>>
>> it's not a bug. bitbake is using parallel tasks a lot. At any time it
>> is running N tasks. When one task fails, it will wait for N-1 ongoing
>> tasks to finish, and then stops.
>>
>> If you restart again, it will likely try N new tasks again, and the
>> same task that failed,  will fail again, it will wait for N-1 tasks to
>> complete.
>>
>> if you do that several times, you will  end up in a situation where
>> the only task that can run is the 'failing' one, so it will try 1 task
>> and fail immediately.
>>
>> > thanks.
>> >
>> > --

Re: Annoying "rerun to fix" bug for bitbake: task failed, but rerun can fix it.

Nicolas Dechesne

<nicolas.dechesne@...> wrote:

[...]

Building snaps whilst building yocto

Siegmund, Jan <jan.siegmund0@...>

Hi all,

Is there already a class/template around which creates snaps from recipes whilst building yocto and/or afterwards using the SDK?

Thanks

Re: Annoying "rerun to fix" bug for bitbake: task failed, but rerun can fix it.

Eric Schwarz

[...]

Re: [layerindex-web][patch v3 1/1] recipes.html: Require keyword for recipe search

Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...>

On 11/7/17 8:43 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 11:47:49 AM NZDT Mark Hatle wrote:
On 11/7/17 4:31 PM, Amanda Brindle wrote:
Use JavaScript to check if the search box for recipe search is
empty before querying the database. This will prevent the "502
Bad Gateway" error that occurs when the query takes too long due
to the large list of recipes. Since there are so many recipes
spread across the layers in the OE index, there's no point in
allowing a user to search without a keyword in order to browse
the list; it simply isn't digestible as a whole.

Add a browse button for the Machines, Classes, and Distros pages.
There are reasons to view all of the recipes, machines, classes, distros,
etc. (Not necessarily good reasons, but I know people do it.)

If the query is too long, it would be better to figure out a way to get a
partial response and formulate the first page based on partial responses...
having a multipage response that the user can look at.
I'm willing to be proven wrong, but unfortunately it looks to me like this
will require major re-engineering to sort out for a fairly weak use case. If
you consider this important, would you be able to look into making it work?
I suspect much of the display engine probably needs a rework as the contents of
the layer index have grown. I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can
find anyone who can work on it.

For recipes, the use-case is very weak. I have talked with people though who
have just wanted a list of what is available (one big list). Primarily so they
can compare what is available to some magic spec sheet they are looking at.

For the Machines, Distros pages.. people do want a full list here, as they
simply won't know what is available or what something is called. The scope of
the machines and distros of course is nowhere near the scope for the full recipe
list.

--Mark

Cheers,
Paul

yocto documentation: no content, no PDF?

Jerry Lian <jerry.lian@...>

Just wondering:
* As an active project, why yocto documentation does not provide a content (better be clickable)?
* Or PDF format for easy printing.

Isn't good documentation the basic requirement for a good project?
 (By the way, the yocto homepage is also ugly!)

Thanks,

[meta-oracle-java][PATCH v2] Don't preserve ownership when copying files

Martin Nordqvist <mano@...>

Don't preserve ownership when copying files. Instead let root be
owner of all files.
---
recipes-devtools/oracle-java/oracle-jse.inc | 3 ++-

diff --git a/recipes-devtools/oracle-java/oracle-jse.inc b/recipes-devtools/oracle-java/oracle-jse.inc
index 4346f23..5e5f406 100644
--- a/recipes-devtools/oracle-java/oracle-jse.inc
+++ b/recipes-devtools/oracle-java/oracle-jse.inc
@@ -19,7 +19,8 @@ JDK_HOME = "${libdir_jvm}/${JDK_DIR}"

do_install () {
install -d -m 0755 ${D}${libdir_jvm}
- cp -a ${S}/${JDK_JRE}${PV}_${PV_UPDATE} ${D}${JDK_HOME}
+ cp -a --no-preserve=ownership \
+ ${S}/${JDK_JRE}${PV}_${PV_UPDATE} ${D}${JDK_HOME}
}

# All the files are provided in a binaray package, and keeping all the
--
1.9.1

18701 - 18720 of 57408