Date

Re: Additional / new BSP collection?

Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@...>

On 07/27/11 10:23, Richard Purdie wrote:
On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 08:55 -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
Hi Kumar,

As you know, I've been working on several kernel efforts
around the FSL parts as well (in particular the ones that
have enough pieces upstream to work out of the box). I
definitely don't want to overlap in a way that doesn't
create complimentary efforts.

What are your current thoughts around kernels and the
(nearly religious) kernel version question ? It would be
great to get some alignment on features (-rt, tracing,
boot, footprint reduction, etc, etc) and save some effort
on maintenance and validation. Also if we want to create
some yocto reference BSPs, having a kernel version and feature
set match is important as well (i.e. what we've done for
the intel ones).

To that end, do you have an thoughts about using linux-yocto
as a base to any BSP work ? That statement doesn't do it
justice though, since when I say 'use linux-yocto as a base',
it really means that linux-yocto uses your BSPs as an
upstream/official reference and can pull support for them
into branches, and have the configuration and other tooling
get them any functionality that is being developed.

No control over BSP content, or anything like this, is being
suggested or asserted here. Just looking to all push in the
same direction (embedded features and BSPs to upstream) and
re-use the work of BSPs available in the community. If the
base is the same (and hence kernel version), then this relationship
and workflow is very simple.

... and as a bonus, if the workflow doesn't work easily, then
there's a problem with it and we can work on something that
is suitable (change tools, etc).

Thanks,

Bruce
What I'm envisioning as a start is we'd offer a meta layer on yocto
sites for the upstream supported boards& feature set.

I'm still looking at what we do for a FSL delivered BSP (via
freescale.com) that would be based on that. My initial concerns are
that the yocto community will probably move and change things too
frequently for our customer base (kernel version, toolchain version,
etc). Thus my thinking of de-coupling the two a bit. The yocto
versions of BSPs would track yocto development. The FSL delivered
BSPs would probably track to an older yocto version& slower update
cycle.
Just for reference, this is exactly what meta-intel intends to do. The
released versions of the code there are based on a specific release of
Yocto/OE-Core. When new BSPs are developed they are likely developed on
the last stable release of Yocto, not bleeding edge master unless there
is some pressing reason to do so.
Most definitely. Having some sort of alignment on the
kernel versions is nice, but we definitely don't expect
all BSPs to follow every new kernel.

And like Richard said, the model you are thinking about
makes a lot of sense.

If we nominate some important BSPs (one of my post 1.1 tasks),
and they get into the yocto-kernel tree, you have the
advantage that when I uprev the kernel they largely get hauled
along for the ride.

Cheers,

Brice

This is where we start to see major benefits of the layer model.

Re: Additional / new BSP collection?

Cherry, John <John_Cherry@...>

On 2011-07-15 09:30, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
Darren Hart suggested I send this to the list...

Attached is a picture of my screen running Terminal. This is on a BeagleBoard xM rev C connected via its HDMI out to a DVI adapter and then into a Dell UltraSharp monitor. Angstrom
doesn't display these problems, so the setup should be fine.

I'm not quite sure what is causing this. The resolution is also fairly low, and I haven't had any success using boot parameters (either the older video=omapfb:mode variant or the
newer DSS2 omapfb.mode variant).
Did you ever find out what is causing this?
No, but I'll be testing out a new build soon -- haven't been able to for a bit.

When you say that it works on one system (Poky?) vs another (Angstrom?)
are they both running the same version of U-Boot? I'm seeing this same
behaviour on one of my boards, but only when I run U-Boot from 2011.06
Yes -- Yocto/Poky/Sato vs. Angstrom. I doubt they're running the same version of U-Boot, but I don't know the version numbers offhand.
Check the display setup. In my case, my old U-Boot (which works great)
was using dvimode=1024x768-24@60 and the new U-Boot is using dvimode=1024x768MR-16@60
When I switch back to the old setting, even with the new U-Boot, my display
runs great again. n.b. this may be kernel revision sensitive as well.

BTW - why did you send your original query to the Poky list?
Because Darren suggested that I do so, to get various eyes on it :-)
Sounds reasonable - I only asked because your original email didn't
really spell out why it went to the Poky list.

Thanks & good luck

Gary Thomas | Consulting for the
MLB Associates | Embedded world

Re: Color ghosting on BeagleBoard xM rev C

Jeff Mitchell <jmitchell@...>

On 2011-07-15 09:30, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
[...]

[PATCH 1/1] meta-sugarbay: switch to linux-yocto 3.0 kernel

tom.zanussi@...

From: Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...>

Switch sugarbay to the 3.0 kernel, lock it down, and update kernel
SRCREVs.

Signed-off-by: Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...>
---
meta-sugarbay/conf/machine/sugarbay.conf | 1 +
.../recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend | 7 +++++++
create mode 100644 meta-sugarbay/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend

diff --git a/meta-sugarbay/conf/machine/sugarbay.conf b/meta-sugarbay/conf/machine/sugarbay.conf
index ebc6dbc..9450d97 100644
--- a/meta-sugarbay/conf/machine/sugarbay.conf
+++ b/meta-sugarbay/conf/machine/sugarbay.conf
@@ -15,6 +15,7 @@ MACHINE_FEATURES = "kernel26 screen keyboard pci usbhost ext2 ext3 x86 \
KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "bzImage"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-yocto"
+PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.0+git%"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_linux-libc-headers ?= "linux-libc-headers-yocto"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/libx11 ?= "libx11-trim"
diff --git a/meta-sugarbay/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend b/meta-sugarbay/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..57420f2
--- /dev/null
+++ b/meta-sugarbay/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend
+FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
+
+COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_sugarbay = "sugarbay"
+KMACHINE_sugarbay = "yocto/standard/common-pc-64/sugarbay"
+
+SRCREV_machine_pn-linux-yocto_sugarbay ?= "3216e7d5c3cada16161481826cdb39c930457587"
+SRCREV_meta_pn-linux-yocto_sugarbay ?= "9010d1cbef2633dac7e559a7705c326b7601dd4c"
--
1.7.0.4