Date

Yocto project 0.0 Release Readiness Review

David Stewart

Attending: Paul, Davest, Dirk, Richard, Saul, Alex, Mark, Jessica, Bruce, Darren

Goal: Review the release criteria and make a clear decision to see that we're ready to release.

                * BSPs for Tunnel Creek coming by end of November

                * Documentation and web site will become live over the weekend for check out

                * One high open bug (issue with zypper on targets) to be addressed early in post-launch time frame, OK for now

                * Medium open bug count is higher than desired; major focused effort on resolving bugs in next dev cycle

                * Full test report for all architectures pending - will review by end of week

Decision: Go for launch

Details:

Features Completeness -  100%

                Exceptions relative to the features on the product requirement:

                                Tunnel Creek BSP - will be available by end of November

                                Documentation - the basic pieces are there, more are coming in post 0.9 launch

                                Several engineers unfamiliar with the project are taking the existing bits and making sure they can do a build without hand-holding. This should be complete by latest on Sunday.

Bug Status:

                Note: these bug count goals are suggestions for now, we need to

* No High Bugs. Actual bugs below:

                190 - an enhancement, will be addressed for the 0.9 release

                443 - zypper segfaulting on some architectures parsing package list on some images.  Zypper really needs to be rearchitected early in the 1.0 cycle. Just use RPM directly. Document.

                477 - Certain Python modules don't work on the target, late breaking, will downgrade to medium

* Medium Bugs < 15

                51 total are open now, 7 will be addressed before launch

                Does not meet the criteria, but as these are documented we believe they are acceptable to ship with.

                We need to do a serious effort to reduce the bug count for 1.0.

                We also need to analyze our bug handling process in the next planning meeting.

* Low Bugs < 30

                37 are open now.

* No Undecided Bugs

                May include some which come in very late and have not been dispositioned yet.

Unit Tests Completed - 100%

Test Cases Completed - 100%

                What was planned was completed. Would like to expand this going forward.

Sanity Test – 100%

BAT Testing – 100%

Full Test – 90% Passing

                93% completion for all architectures for QEMU and iA hardware

                Need report on ARM, PPC and MIPs hardware - Saul

Legal & License – Have Legal & Open Source PDT Approval

                Have completed all required legal review

Docs – Pass stakeholder review & Publish to Website

                Currently in process and under review, should be available for review

Re: UPnP demo - call for testing

Darren Hart <dvhart@...>

On 10/21/2010 03:50 AM, Joshua Lock wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 13:32 +0800, Xu, Dongxiao wrote:
Xu, Dongxiao wrote:
I'd also like to have a try, and building the demo image now.

Thanks,
Dongxiao

Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully tested the UPnP demo in my office but would
appreciate someone else taking a bash.

Unfortunately you currently need my branch from poky-contrib
(josh/demo) and the corresponding branch from meta-demo (josh/demo).

The renderer and controller are installed together in the
poky-image-rygel image (I've been using the -live variant).

I needed to use amixer to enable the soundcard and increase the
volume on the netbook I was using.

"amixer set Master on
amixer set Master 75"

Run rygel from a terminal and launch gupnp-av-cp and you should be
able to set play music from a content store on the device. I haven't
tested video...
I just setup the environment and gupnp-av-cp could play music from
another host within the network. However it seems that video doesn't
work yet. Does gupnp-av-cp supports video play?
Thanks for testing this Dongxiao!

I'm not sure whether video is required for the demo, but it should be
supported by gupnp-av-cp and Rygel so long as required gstreamer plugins
are installed. What type of video where you trying to play?
Video is a nice to have, but not required for the UK demo.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel

Re: UPnP demo - call for testing

Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...>

On 10/21/10 9:52 AM, Tom Zanussi wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 10:18 -0700, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully tested the UPnP demo in my office but would appreciate
someone else taking a bash.
With the mediatomb image running on a Black Sand and the rygel image
running on an eMenlow, and using the av-cp on my laptop, I'm able to get
ok audio out of the eMenlow speakers - pretty nifty! ;-)

Still need to get the nas piece going, but it all basically works with
the hardware I have (and will be bringing) - nice job!
poky-image-nas should work on any hardware -- just keep in mind that by default it serves everything over "eth1". Update the config files in meta-demo/images/poky-image-nas/* to point to eth0 (or elsewhere).

--Mark

Tom

Re: zypper and poky architectures

Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...>

On 10/21/10 6:21 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 16:33 +0800, Qing He wrote:
I recently reported several zypper bugs specifically for arm, after
some deeper investigation, the problem seems to be of higher level than
I originally thought.

The root cause is that zypper and poky use different way to represent
architectures, as we are putting them together, these two ways are
not compatible, causing many minor glitches that need to modify at
least one of them.

Poky has three kinds of representations in a single target image, which
are independent, cpu-dependent and machine-dependent (all, armv5te,
qemuarm, respectively), e.g.

update-rc.d-0.7-r3.all.rpm
curl-7.21.0-r0.armv5te.rpm
task-base-1.0-r69.qemuarm.rpm

(note that armv5te is the same with gcc's -march option, meaning little
endian)
This is a good analysis and summary. It actually gets more complicated
as for some machines we have a long list of compatible package types
that can be installed, e.g. for qemuarm, if you list PACKAGE_ARCHES
you'll see armv4t armv5 armv5t armv5te which are all accepted by the
opkg backend.

This is natural until zypper is involved. Zypper supports only one arch
at one time (and this arch should not be changed in fly), and use the
idea of arch compatibility (e.g. _noarch is compatible with _i586), it
then hardcodes the available archs in a different way than poky does,
thus creating several problems:
1. what uses for independent packages is called "noarch", "all" is not
recognized, something depends on update-rc.d won't be installed
because of missing dependency
2. the arch automatic detection system uses "uname -m", thus producing
armv5tejl, which can only be resolved as armv5tel, conflicting with
"armv5te" in rpm
3. many archs are missing in zypper, like mips, armeb, etc.
4. there is no concept of machine-dependent packages (task-base) in
zypper, although we can work around.

Currently, at least zypper is broken on all of mips, arm, ppc, with
slightly different problems.

The ideal situation is to use consistent arch specification, the
following can be a solution:
1. rename *.all.rpm to *.noarch.rpm
This would only solve part of the problem though?

2. removing the concept of machine-dependent packages, change all
*.qemuarm.rpm to *.armv5te.rpm
This could mean making a copy of each rpm per machine so I'm not keen on
this.

3. enhance zypper arch module, make the addition more flexible,
allowing arch alias (e.g. armv5te = armv5tel = armel = arm)

That would be some work to do, maybe 1.0 is a good time to get zypper
and package upgrade truely working.

Any ideas and comments?
I think we're going to have to teach zypper to read a list of compatible
"architectures" from a configuration file. There is a config file opkg
writes to the filesystem continaing this list and we'll have to do
similar for RPM.

It does raise the question of how given two possible rpm's it would
chose between the two (for opkg, the list is in order).

Is the problem just in zypper and is rpm free from any issues in this
area?
We will need to do some additional verification on RPM -- but it appears to me that RPM should not have a problem with this. As far as I'm aware, RPM5 simply ignores the ARCH field for the most part. (My concern as we move in this direction will be ordering of priority between architecture types.. perhaps thats not even in the scope of RPM to worry about... but replacing say an armv4 w/ an armv5 is...)

--Mark

On 10/21/10 3:33 AM, Qing He wrote:
[...]

We can certainly look into translating "all" to "noarch" post 0.9. That might make it easier for people coming from the RPM world, to understand what is in the package.

2. the arch automatic detection system uses "uname -m", thus producing
armv5tejl, which can only be resolved as armv5tel, conflicting with
"armv5te" in rpm
This is a bug in Zypper. The machine names should come from somewhere other then uname -m. (The value of uname -m is very much ia32 specific for the most part.. other architectures have way too many possible namings for it to be useful.) There is a line in "/etc/rpm/platform" that contains the name of Poky architecture. This file should be referenced (instead of -m) for all cases.

3. many archs are missing in zypper, like mips, armeb, etc.
4. there is no concept of machine-dependent packages (task-base) in
zypper, although we can work around.
Generally speaking, this is true of most RPM installations. However, within RPM itself.. there really isn't any concept of "arch" anymore.. They're really only used for grouping and ordering. So Zypper may need to be updated to query the arch of a package and use it for it's various operations.

Currently, at least zypper is broken on all of mips, arm, ppc, with
slightly different problems.

The ideal situation is to use consistent arch specification, the
following can be a solution:
1. rename *.all.rpm to *.noarch.rpm
We can certainly do this easily.

2. removing the concept of machine-dependent packages, change all
*.qemuarm.rpm to *.armv5te.rpm
I'm a bit worried about doing this, as we'll end up with (potentially) incompatible packages with exactly the same name and versions... Perhaps we need to think about embedding the machine type into the name of the packages instead?

3. enhance zypper arch module, make the addition more flexible,
allowing arch alias (e.g. armv5te = armv5tel = armel = arm)
Zypper should read the rpm platform file.

That would be some work to do, maybe 1.0 is a good time to get zypper
and package upgrade truely working.
Yes, we also need to get multi-arch as well.. (i.e. 32-bit and 64-bit at the same time) working. I'm guessing there will be some Zypper interactions there as well.

--Mark

Any ideas and comments?

Thanks,
Qing

Re: UPnP demo - call for testing

David Stewart

Nice - thanks Tom and Josh
Sent from my Blackberry

Joshua Lock <josh@...>

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 09:52 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 10:18 -0700, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully tested the UPnP demo in my office but would appreciate
someone else taking a bash.
With the mediatomb image running on a Black Sand and the rygel image
running on an eMenlow, and using the av-cp on my laptop, I'm able to get
ok audio out of the eMenlow speakers - pretty nifty! ;-)

Still need to get the nas piece going, but it all basically works with
the hardware I have (and will be bringing) - nice job!
Huzzah! Replicated on three set ups, victory is mine!

Unfortunately I've had only limited success with videos so will continue
to look into that...

Thanks for testing Tom!

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

Re: UPnP demo - call for testing

Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...>

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 10:18 -0700, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully tested the UPnP demo in my office but would appreciate
someone else taking a bash.
With the mediatomb image running on a Black Sand and the rygel image
running on an eMenlow, and using the av-cp on my laptop, I'm able to get
ok audio out of the eMenlow speakers - pretty nifty! ;-)

Still need to get the nas piece going, but it all basically works with
the hardware I have (and will be bringing) - nice job!

Tom

Re: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Alex deVries <Alex.deVries@...>

I'll be there too.

- A

On 2010-10-19, at 6:31 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 15:13 -0700, Wold, Saul wrote:
David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to
look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open
bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the
folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at
this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend
at a "reasonable" hour.

Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969
This is ok with me.

Alex deVries
Chief Linux Technologist
Wind River Systems

Re: Release checklist

Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...>

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 10:02 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:07:21 +0100, Richard Purdie <rpurdie@linux.intel.com> wrote:
Coming up to launch there are going to be some technical things that
need to be done, I'm aiming to write these down and assign owners so we
remember them all and that they all happen:

* Remove password protection from yoctoproject.org (sub)domains [RP]
* Swap default site redirection and name for lists.* and wiki.* [RP]
* Make meta-demo public [RP]
* Remove password protection from autobuilder [ScottG]
* Upload final version of the eclipse plugin [Jessica]
* Upload final Yocto release images and tarballs [???]
While not exactly technical, these should be tracked as well:

* post announcement email to LWN [RP or DH]
* post announcement email to... (where else?)
Poky and OpenEmbedded mailing lists from me.

* prior to announcement distribute Q&A inside Intel [TE]

What date and time are we going to actually do these things?
- We should open everything up 4pm UK time on Wednesday
- Post announcements AFTER dinner (so 8pm UK time)

/D

Re: UPnP demo - call for testing

Xu, Dongxiao <dongxiao.xu@...>

Joshua Lock wrote:
[...]

I played OGG format video which should be supported. I saw the progress bar is moving, showing that the video is playing, however there is no video screen...

To clarify did you test the josh/demo or master branch of the
meta-demo repository?
I used josh/demo branch.

Thanks,
Dongxiao

Cheers,
Joshua

Re: Please verify the fixed bug in bugzilla.

Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...>

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 15:44 +0800, You, Yongkang wrote:
Hi all,

I just had a quick search in bugzilla and found a lot of bugs are resolved but not verified. We'd better to verify the fix before 0.9 launch.

The M4 resolved (but not verified) bugs (88):
http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=0.9%20M4&query_based_on=&columnlist=bug_severity%2Creporter%2Cpriority%2Cop_sys%2Cassigned_to%2Cbug_status%2Cresolution%2Cshort_desc%2Cproduct%2Ccomponent

All resolved (but not verified) bugs (198):
http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=RESOLVED
Just to remind people, who is responsible for verifying a bug? The
original reporter?

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 16:48 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
On 10/20/2010 03:09 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 18:18 +0100, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've successfully tested the UPnP demo in my office but would appreciate
someone else taking a bash.

Unfortunately you currently need my branch from poky-contrib (josh/demo)
and the corresponding branch from meta-demo (josh/demo).
I've just pushed one change to poky/master and merged a tidied up
changeset into the master branch of meta-demo. So you should now be able
to test with latest poky and meta-demo master.

Cheers,
Joshua
I have added the COMMERCIAL_LICENSE bits to my local.conf and mediatomb
built after that.

building poky-image-rygel-live, gupnp-dlna do_configure is failing with:

configure: error: Package requirements (gstreamer-0.10 >=
0.10.29.2) were not met:

No package 'gstreamer-0.10' found

Have you seen that?
No, but I can see how it happened. Gstreamer isn't listed in
gupnp-dlna's DEPENDS and it's likely that gstreamer wasn't built before
gupnp-dlna configure was run - I have updated the gupnp-dlna recipe in
the meta-demo master branch.

Sorry about that!

Joshua
--

Qing He <qing.he@...>

You, Yongkang <yongkang.you@...>

Hi all,

I just had a quick search in bugzilla and found a lot of bugs are resolved but not verified. We'd better to verify the fix before 0.9 launch.

The M4 resolved (but not verified) bugs (88):
http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=0.9%20M4&query_based_on=&columnlist=bug_severity%2Creporter%2Cpriority%2Cop_sys%2Cassigned_to%2Cbug_status%2Cresolution%2Cshort_desc%2Cproduct%2Ccomponent

All resolved (but not verified) bugs (198):
http://bugzilla.pokylinux.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=RESOLVED

Thanks,
Yongkang

Re: Release checklist

Tian, Kevin <kevin.tian@...>

Coming up to launch there are going to be some technical things that
need to be done, I'm aiming to write these down and assign owners so we
remember them all and that they all happen:

* Remove password protection from yoctoproject.org (sub)domains [RP]
* Swap default site redirection and name for lists.* and wiki.* [RP]
does this include the content movement from old wiki to the new place?

Thanks
Kevin

Joshua Lock wrote:
[...]

I need to tweak the recipes some more so that:
* Rygel is configured and started automatically at boot on the rygel
image
* All of the required recipes are self contained in the master
branch meta-demo overlay.

I think this may mean using bbappend to extend recipes where I've
currently modified them in the main meta overlay, rather than
replication a recipe with the same PN and PV.

I'll probably work on this tomorrow.

Cheers,
Joshua

How to create a Blacksand Image with source tarball

Saul Wold <saul.wold@...>

Richard, Scott:

Here is what I did to create the blacksand sdk live image with a source tarball. I still need to include the docs and release notes at the top level, but we now have the basic infrastructure in place.

2 changes where required, first to the local.conf file to include the serial port changes (with one additional tweak):

SYSLINUX_OPTS_atom-pc = "serial 0 115200"
SERIAL_CONSOLE_atom-pc = "115200 ttyS0"
APPEND_atom-pc = "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"

And then a new image, that I named poky-image-spec-live, pretty straight forward, we just need to edit the build_src_tarball_bin to include the docs and release notes.

diff --git a/meta/recipes-sato/images/poky-image-spec-live.bb b/meta/recipes-sato/images/poky-image-spec-live.bb
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..1abeb95
--- /dev/null
+++ b/meta/recipes-sato/images/poky-image-spec-live.bb
@@ -0,0 +1,23 @@
+DESCRIPTION = "Bootable Live SDK Image for Atom-PC Board"
+
+require recipes-core/images/poky-image-live.inc
+
+LABELS += "boot install"
+
+ROOTFS = "${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}/poky-image-spec-${MACHINE}.ext3"
+
+LICENSE = "MIT"
+
+PR = "r0"
+
+do_bootimg[depends] += "poky-image-sdk:do_rootfs"
+
+build_src_tarball_bin () {
+ install -d ${S}/hdd/boot
+ (cd ${OEROOT}; git archive HEAD | bzip2 > "${S}/hdd/boot/poky4.tar.bz2")
+}
+
+python do_bootimg_prepend () {
+ import bb
+ bb.build.exec_func('build_src_tarball_bin', d)
+}