Date   

Re: Call for help for demo UPNP media renderer

Tian, Kevin <kevin.tian@...>
 

so Josh, have you pushed all of your changes now? That way Dongxiao can follow
up with it here.

Thanks
Kevin

From: Joshua Lock
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:37 AM

It seems I didn't push all of my changes, just trying to replicate them
here and push.

Joshua

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:31 -0700, Saul Wold wrote:

Dongxiao,

Can you take a look at this since you have worked with the gstreamer?

Thanks
Sau!


On 10/19/2010 02:15 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've packaged Rygel, a upnp media server and renderer, to use as the
media renderer in the upnp demo. However I'm seeing a segfault at launch
and as it's getting late here I'm wondering if someone in a strategic
timezone can help debug while I cycle home and sleep.

The (ugly) recipes are in the josh/demo branch of the meta-demo
repository.

rygel --gst-debug-level=5

shows plenty of output, but nothing that jumps out to a gstreamer newb
like me. AFAICT I have all of the plugins required but it's possible we
need to add more.

If not I'll pick it up again in the morning.

Thanks,
Joshua
_______________________________________________
yocto mailing list
yocto@yoctoproject.org
https://lists.pokylinux.org/listinfo/yocto
--
Joshua Lock
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

_______________________________________________
yocto mailing list
yocto@yoctoproject.org
https://lists.pokylinux.org/listinfo/yocto


Re: Call for help for demo UPNP media renderer

Joshua Lock <josh@...>
 

It seems I didn't push all of my changes, just trying to replicate them
here and push.

Joshua

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:31 -0700, Saul Wold wrote:

Dongxiao,

Can you take a look at this since you have worked with the gstreamer?

Thanks
Sau!


On 10/19/2010 02:15 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've packaged Rygel, a upnp media server and renderer, to use as the
media renderer in the upnp demo. However I'm seeing a segfault at launch
and as it's getting late here I'm wondering if someone in a strategic
timezone can help debug while I cycle home and sleep.

The (ugly) recipes are in the josh/demo branch of the meta-demo
repository.

rygel --gst-debug-level=5

shows plenty of output, but nothing that jumps out to a gstreamer newb
like me. AFAICT I have all of the plugins required but it's possible we
need to add more.

If not I'll pick it up again in the morning.

Thanks,
Joshua
_______________________________________________
yocto mailing list
yocto@yoctoproject.org
https://lists.pokylinux.org/listinfo/yocto
--
Joshua Lock
Intel Open Source Technology Centre


Re: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...>
 

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 15:13 -0700, Wold, Saul wrote:
David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to
look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open
bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the
folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at
this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend
at a "reasonable" hour.


Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969
This is ok with me.

Cheers,

Richard


Re: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...>
 

On 10/19/10 5:17 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
On 10/19/10 5:13 PM, Saul Wold wrote:

David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to
look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open
bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the
folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at
this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend
at a "reasonable" hour.


Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969
11am Pacific should work.. I have a short meeting somewhere between 2 and 6
EDT... (or 10 and 2 Pacific).. Hopefully this won't interfere.. (sorry I don't
have details beyond that wide range.. but it's supposed to be 15 minutes or
less) :P
Finally got the time locked down.

My meeting does NOT conflict with this time, so 11am (Pacific) is good for me.

--Mark

--Mark

Thanks
Sau!


Re: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Anderson, Paul <paul.anderson@...>
 

Kevin is on vacation, so he's out for sure. He doesn't get back until
after CELF anyway.

I'm OOO Thursday, but can make an exception for this, preusming we can
motor through it reasonably quickly. It would be good to see the data as
to where we are.

Regards,

-pja

-----Original Message-----
From: Saul Wold [mailto:saul.wold@intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:13 PM
To: Stewart, David C; McCombe, Kevin; Purdie, Richard; Anderson, Paul
Cc: Zhang, Jessica; deVries, Alex; Polk, Jeffrey; Hatle, Mark; Li,
Susie; Lock, Joshua; Ashfield, Bruce; Zanussi, Tom; Hart, Darren; Ta,
Lieu; 'yocto@yoctoproject.org'
Subject: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting


David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to
look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open
bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the
folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at
this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend
at a "reasonable" hour.


Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969

Thanks
Sau!


Re: Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@...>
 

On 10/19/10 5:13 PM, Saul Wold wrote:

David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to
look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open
bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the
folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at
this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend
at a "reasonable" hour.


Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969
11am Pacific should work.. I have a short meeting somewhere between 2 and 6 EDT... (or 10 and 2 Pacific).. Hopefully this won't interfere.. (sorry I don't have details beyond that wide range.. but it's supposed to be 15 minutes or less) :P

--Mark

Thanks
Sau!


Yocto Readiness Review Meeting

Saul Wold <saul.wold@...>
 

David, Kevin, Paul, Richard:

As discussed in the project sync we need to do a readiness review to look at the current state of the release with regards to existing open bugs, QA testing, and general sanity of the release.

The best time for this would be Thursday morning at 11:00, could the folks on the "To:" line please respond with your availablity to meet at this time. We need to do it in the morning to enable Richard to attend at a "reasonable" hour.


Thursday Oct 21, 2010 11:00AM
Where: 916-356-2663, 8-356-2663 Bridge 92 / 3302969

Thanks
Sau!


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Anderson, Paul <paul.anderson@...>
 

Spot on, Richard.

-pja

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Purdie [mailto:rpurdie@linux.intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:09 PM
To: Darren Hart
Cc: Anderson, Paul; Zanussi, Tom; Stewart, David C; McCombe, Kevin;
Wold, Saul; Zhang, Jessica; deVries, Alex; Polk, Jeffrey; Hatle, Mark;
Li, Susie; Lock, Joshua; Ashfield, Bruce; Ta, Lieu;
yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:51 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
On 10/19/2010 02:48 PM, Anderson, Paul wrote:
I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.
There has been no discussion of a QEMU demo for the media network
demo.
I've tested some components with QEMU, but we aren't currently
planning on demo'ing this in QEMU.
I think Paul is talking about a different demo, one where we're just
able to boot all four qemu architectures alongside each other.

This should be possible with our release images, we just need someone to
own it and to bring a machine with it working on it (and have a backup
of the setup in case of filesystem corruption etc.).

Any volunteers?

Cheers,

Richard


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Anderson, Paul <paul.anderson@...>
 

Got it. At a top level the requirement is showing stuff running on real
hardware (all archs) as well as within QEMU (all archs). As far as what
is shown on what, that's another matter.

Regards,

-pja

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Hart [mailto:dvhart@linux.intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:52 PM
To: Anderson, Paul
Cc: Zanussi, Tom; Stewart, David C; McCombe, Kevin; Wold, Saul; Zhang,
Jessica; deVries, Alex; Polk, Jeffrey; Hatle, Mark; Purdie, Richard; Li,
Susie; Lock, Joshua; Ashfield, Bruce; Ta, Lieu; yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

On 10/19/2010 02:48 PM, Anderson, Paul wrote:
I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.
There has been no discussion of a QEMU demo for the media network demo.
I've tested some components with QEMU, but we aren't currently planning
on demo'ing this in QEMU.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...>
 

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:51 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
On 10/19/2010 02:48 PM, Anderson, Paul wrote:
I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.
There has been no discussion of a QEMU demo for the media network demo.
I've tested some components with QEMU, but we aren't currently planning
on demo'ing this in QEMU.
I think Paul is talking about a different demo, one where we're just
able to boot all four qemu architectures alongside each other.

This should be possible with our release images, we just need someone to
own it and to bring a machine with it working on it (and have a backup
of the setup in case of filesystem corruption etc.).

Any volunteers?

Cheers,

Richard


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...>
 

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:44 -0700, Hart, Darren wrote:
On 10/19/2010 09:04 AM, Zanussi, Tom wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:40 -0700, Stewart, David C wrote:


* demo

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down the description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it. RP suggests that maybe getting all the pieces running on one hardware might be a good way to try it out just in case.
I can try getting everything running on one machine too - would it make
sense to try that all on e.g. emenlow, or all on a laptop using qemu, or
both?
Everything on One machine doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for two
reasons:

1) This is heavily network dependent, making sure the machines can find
eachother is a critical aspect of testing this.
2) Qemu does some magic with tun/tap devices, you have to configure
things to get multicast working between guests. I've tested the
mediatomb image in qemu, it works. We need to test on real hardware.
3) We don't an image that will install everything on the same machine,
and making one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
4) Running a NAS to serve up media to itself doesn't test the networking
side of things as well.

I'd rather use 3 real devices (even if they are all emenlow or
blacksand) rather than qemu or all on one.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense as a demo per se, but for the folks who only
have one system, to get it all going. Another motivition I thought was
to have 'something' as a worst-case fallback, e.g. with all the 'moving
pieces' Dave is worried about.

Actually, it could make a little bit of sense to have a single
nas-mediatomb-xxxclient image, pointing to each other on localhost, that
could be easily tweaked in the field and swapped in/out as any one of
the components - just a thought and probably not worth it at this point.

Tom

--
Darren


Tom


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Darren Hart <dvhart@...>
 

On 10/19/2010 02:48 PM, Anderson, Paul wrote:
I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.
There has been no discussion of a QEMU demo for the media network demo. I've tested some components with QEMU, but we aren't currently planning on demo'ing this in QEMU.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Darren Hart <dvhart@...>
 

On 10/19/2010 02:12 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
On 10/19/10 4:01 PM, Alex deVries wrote:

On 2010-10-19, at 11:40 AM, Stewart, David C wrote:

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down the description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it.

Yes, so what I need is something like:

- description
- expected behaviour
- hardware used
- how to build and install the software

... for all four boards. The sooner we have something, the sooner I can start.

Does that make sense, Darren?
Darren (or someone else can correct me.. but what I'm doing now)

Board: RouterStationPro
Purpose: NAS and boot server for other board
Features:
- Contains file server for multimedia and other files
- Can serve files via:
- NFS
- http
http isn't needed. (the DLNA server will mount the files over NFS into its filesystem and Mediatomb runs it's own http server on a special port to server up the files to the media renderers).

- tftp (likely needed if the other boards need to network boot)
- ftp (maybe)
No need.

- Will act as THE authoritation DHCP server for the network of boards
- no DNS on the network (is it needed?)
No DNS needed, runs over multicast, and we can specify the NFS server with a dotted quad.


Software:
- From the meta-demo, build the poky-image-nas with the machine target of the
routerstationpro (thats the goal, but there might be some custom config files
in the end.. still working on it)
Perfect. Looks good Mark.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Darren Hart <darren.hart@...>
 

On 10/19/2010 02:48 PM, Anderson, Paul wrote:
I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.
There has been no discussion of a QEMU demo for the media network demo. I've tested some components with QEMU, but we aren't currently planning on demo'ing this in QEMU.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Darren Hart <darren.hart@...>
 

On 10/19/2010 02:12 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
On 10/19/10 4:01 PM, Alex deVries wrote:

On 2010-10-19, at 11:40 AM, Stewart, David C wrote:

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down the description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it.

Yes, so what I need is something like:

- description
- expected behaviour
- hardware used
- how to build and install the software

... for all four boards. The sooner we have something, the sooner I can start.

Does that make sense, Darren?
Darren (or someone else can correct me.. but what I'm doing now)

Board: RouterStationPro
Purpose: NAS and boot server for other board
Features:
- Contains file server for multimedia and other files
- Can serve files via:
- NFS
- http
http isn't needed. (the DLNA server will mount the files over NFS into its filesystem and Mediatomb runs it's own http server on a special port to server up the files to the media renderers).

- tftp (likely needed if the other boards need to network boot)
- ftp (maybe)
No need.

- Will act as THE authoritation DHCP server for the network of boards
- no DNS on the network (is it needed?)
No DNS needed, runs over multicast, and we can specify the NFS server with a dotted quad.


Software:
- From the meta-demo, build the poky-image-nas with the machine target of the
routerstationpro (thats the goal, but there might be some custom config files
in the end.. still working on it)
Perfect. Looks good Mark.

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Anderson, Paul <paul.anderson@...>
 

I thought the plan was to do BOTH a QEMU demo and a demo on real
hardware? If that's not the plan, it should be the plan.

Regards,

-pja

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Hart [mailto:darren.hart@intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:45 PM
To: Zanussi, Tom
Cc: Stewart, David C; McCombe, Kevin; Wold, Saul; Zhang, Jessica;
deVries, Alex; Polk, Jeffrey; Hatle, Mark; Purdie, Richard; Li, Susie;
Lock, Joshua; Ashfield, Bruce; Ta, Lieu; Anderson, Paul;
'yocto@yoctoproject.org'
Subject: Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

On 10/19/2010 09:04 AM, Zanussi, Tom wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:40 -0700, Stewart, David C wrote:


* demo

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down the
description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it. RP suggests
that maybe getting all the pieces running on one hardware might be a
good way to try it out just in case.
I can try getting everything running on one machine too - would it
make sense to try that all on e.g. emenlow, or all on a laptop using
qemu, or both?
Everything on One machine doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for two
reasons:

1) This is heavily network dependent, making sure the machines can find
eachother is a critical aspect of testing this.
2) Qemu does some magic with tun/tap devices, you have to configure
things to get multicast working between guests. I've tested the
mediatomb image in qemu, it works. We need to test on real hardware.
3) We don't an image that will install everything on the same machine,
and making one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
4) Running a NAS to serve up media to itself doesn't test the networking
side of things as well.

I'd rather use 3 real devices (even if they are all emenlow or
blacksand) rather than qemu or all on one.

--
Darren


Tom

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Darren Hart <darren.hart@...>
 

On 10/19/2010 09:04 AM, Zanussi, Tom wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:40 -0700, Stewart, David C wrote:


* demo

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down the description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it. RP suggests that maybe getting all the pieces running on one hardware might be a good way to try it out just in case.
I can try getting everything running on one machine too - would it make
sense to try that all on e.g. emenlow, or all on a laptop using qemu, or
both?
Everything on One machine doesn't make a lot of sense to me, for two reasons:

1) This is heavily network dependent, making sure the machines can find eachother is a critical aspect of testing this.
2) Qemu does some magic with tun/tap devices, you have to configure things to get multicast working between guests. I've tested the mediatomb image in qemu, it works. We need to test on real hardware.
3) We don't an image that will install everything on the same machine, and making one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
4) Running a NAS to serve up media to itself doesn't test the networking side of things as well.

I'd rather use 3 real devices (even if they are all emenlow or blacksand) rather than qemu or all on one.

--
Darren


Tom

--
Darren Hart
Embedded Linux Kernel


Re: Yocto Linux Project Sync notes

Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...>
 

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 11:04 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:40 -0700, Stewart, David C wrote:


* demo

** Alex will put the hardware bits together, Darren to write down
the description of what needs to come together and wiki-fy it. RP
suggests that maybe getting all the pieces running on one hardware
might be a good way to try it out just in case.
I can try getting everything running on one machine too - would it make
sense to try that all on e.g. emenlow, or all on a laptop using qemu, or
both?
I'd go with emenlow since it has working sound. We've never supported
sound under qemu.

Cheers,

Richard

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
VAT No: 860 2173 47

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.


Re: Call for help for demo UPNP media renderer

Saul Wold <saul.wold@...>
 

Dongxiao,

Can you take a look at this since you have worked with the gstreamer?

Thanks
Sau!

On 10/19/2010 02:15 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
Hi all,

I've packaged Rygel, a upnp media server and renderer, to use as the
media renderer in the upnp demo. However I'm seeing a segfault at launch
and as it's getting late here I'm wondering if someone in a strategic
timezone can help debug while I cycle home and sleep.

The (ugly) recipes are in the josh/demo branch of the meta-demo
repository.

rygel --gst-debug-level=5

shows plenty of output, but nothing that jumps out to a gstreamer newb
like me. AFAICT I have all of the plugins required but it's possible we
need to add more.

If not I'll pick it up again in the morning.

Thanks,
Joshua


Call for help for demo UPNP media renderer

Joshua Lock <josh@...>
 

Hi all,

I've packaged Rygel, a upnp media server and renderer, to use as the
media renderer in the upnp demo. However I'm seeing a segfault at launch
and as it's getting late here I'm wondering if someone in a strategic
timezone can help debug while I cycle home and sleep.

The (ugly) recipes are in the josh/demo branch of the meta-demo
repository.

rygel --gst-debug-level=5

shows plenty of output, but nothing that jumps out to a gstreamer newb
like me. AFAICT I have all of the plugins required but it's possible we
need to add more.

If not I'll pick it up again in the morning.

Thanks,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

54221 - 54240 of 54257