Re: looking to boot core-image-minimal on meta-riscv board

Khem Raj

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 3:46 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@...> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2022, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@...> wrote:
> >

> >   a friend of mine is diving into trying to boot linux on a meta-riscv
> > linux starter kit -- he's not using YP, and this is what he's
> > targeting:
> >
> >   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003751298305.html
> >
> >   since i've wanted to jump into meta-riscv for a while, i figured i'd
> > play along and ordered something more substantial:
> >
> >   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002796061251.html
> >
> > in any event, here's the story so far.
> >
> >   as a first pass, i just fired up YP and built for qemuriscv64 to
> > establish a baseline, and that seems to work just fine, booting with
> > "runqemu nographic." and that at least gives me a bunch of config info
> > i can look at later.
> >
> >   as for my actual target board, i know that the meta-riscv layer
> > defines support for two boards, neither of which is the one i will be
> > getting, but while i'm waiting for it, i can at least start
> > documenting all of the relevant settings and config values i'll want
> > to try.
> >
> >   i know precious little about meta-riscv, so is there a sane way to
> > prepare for the eventual arrival of my board? my plan is to get
> > familiar with how the meta-riscv layer builds for the two supported
> > boards, so i'll have a handle on what i'll need to configure.
> >
> >   any further advice would be most appreciated.
>
> We should add them to meta-riscv as reference BSPs. I have port of
> unmatched locally and have been trying to get the needed changes
> into meta-sifive which is still pending.

  so you have working BSPs for both of those? very cool. warning that
i know effectively nothing about RISC-V but this is apparently my
weekend project to dig into it. i don't see a meta-riscv-specific
mailing list, so i assume if i want to start sending simple patches
for meta-riscv, they would go here?

Usually we use GitHub issues and pulls

  already built and tested qemuriscv64, so i guess i'll work backwards
from there and examine the configuration and construction of the
components. opensbi, here we come ...