Re: Red alert but apparently harmless setscene errors

Jose Quaresma

Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...> escreveu no dia quinta, 13/01/2022 à(s) 21:53:
On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 19:37 +0100, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> On 1/13/22 6:37 PM, Jose Quaresma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen the same for some time now when building core-image-minimal
> > with yocto state mirror and hashequiv servers.
> >
> > After some investigation I think the root cause is some
> > bandwidth/connection limitation on the http yocto mirror.
> >
> > Reducing the BB_NUMBER_THREADS="1" to a single core solves many of the
> > fetch issues for me,
> > my config is the default one with:
> >
> >   BB_NUMBER_THREADS="1"
> >   SSTATE_MIRRORS = "file://.*
> > http://sstate.yoctoproject.org/dev/PATH;downloadfilename=PATH
> > <http://sstate.yoctoproject.org/dev/PATH;downloadfilename=PATH>"
> >   BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM = "typhoon.yocto.io:8687
> > <http://typhoon.yocto.io:8687>"
>

> Oops, it seems you're right. I have the same SSTATE_MIRRORS and
> BB_HASHSERVE_UPSTREAM settings as you do, and adding
> BB_NUMBER_THREADS="1" makes the errors disappear.
>
> It seems I should file a bug about that. The error messages just mention
> local paths, not remote ones, so it sounds like a local issue while it's
> apparently not.

That is useful to debug it but suggests there is an issue with concurrent
connections to the YP server.

I think we should have an open bug and get Michael Halstead's input on this.

During the last yocto project summit 2021.11 I have submitted a patch
to reduce the time needed for handling the sstate mirrors on startup,
that without my realizing it actually launches a DoS attack to the mirror.
This patch was rejected as expected.

After that patch, maybe by coincidence I got the idea that some measures
had been taken to mitigate this problem but if it wasn't the case then there is
a bug in concurrent connections to the YP server.

When the patch was sent there was no problem with the concurrent connections to the YP server.

Jose