Re: [Automated-testing] BusyBox pTest failure

Khem Raj

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:40 PM Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...> wrote:
On Wed, 2021-10-27 at 16:22 +0530, rpaluri@... wrote:
> Hi,
>     We are executing busybox pTests and we see that the test case execution
> stops at md5sum test case.
> We analyzed and see that the execution gets stuck here at Line no 29.
>
> Below are the relevant code lines:
> Line no. 28: text="The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
> Line no. 29: text=`yes "$text" | head -c 9999`
>
> I executed above two lines on my host machine and the I get the shell prompt
> back but when executed on target machine, I’m not getting the shell prompt, it
> gets stuck.
> /usr/lib/busybox/ptest # text="The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
> /usr/lib/busybox/ptest # text=`yes “$text” | head -c 9999`
> <<get stuck here indefinitely and I don’t get the shell prompt>>
>
> I modified Line no. 29 as below (removed “ around $text) and the test case
> execution proceeds further with “yes: Broken Pipe” error. With the same
> modification, I don’t see this error on my host machine though.
> Line no. 29: text=`yes $text | head -c 9999`
>
> /usr/lib/busybox/ptest # text="The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
> /usr/lib/busybox/ptest # text=`yes $text | head -c 9999`
> yes: Broken pipe
>
> My host machine uses Bash as my default shell where as my target uses busybox
> sh as my default shell. Does this make any difference?
> Any pointers on this will be appreciated.

The shell the test is run under could make a difference, it is probably supposed
to be running under busybox's own sh. I think we put the busybox utils into PATH
in the ptest to try and ensure this is the case but you'd have to double check
that.

It seems odd you're hitting that as I'd assume we run the busybox ptests
ourselves and don't see a hang...

It’s also good to post your build configuration that bitbake prints at the beginning of build this could also be other policies like default libc being musl vs glibc is in play etc