Re: bbappend usage

Monsees, Steven C (US)

No, you got it wromg... I have a buildable image which has all the components necessary, I want to remove some overhead installed by some components that I will not be within my running application...

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto@... <yocto@...> On Behalf Of Robert P. J. Day
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2021 9:10 AM
To: Monsees, Steven C (US) <steven.monsees@...>
Cc: yocto@...
Subject: Re: [yocto] bbappend usage

External Email Alert

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.

Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros. For further information on how to spot phishing, access “Cybersecurity OneSpace Page” and report phishing by clicking the button “Report Phishing” on the Outlook toolbar.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:

If I am building an image “image-ABC”, and it is composed of a number
recipes, and for some of these recipes I may NOT want to install their
final components within my image…

Which is the best place to modify the build with bbappend ?

Would I modify a recipe’s do_install (do_install_append-recipe_xyz) ?,
or would I modify the image recipe (do_install_append-image_ABC) I am
leaning this way to avoid cases where the component recipes might have
bbappends in place already ?
i would think start with defining a minimal image, then define other images based on that one which add more recipes. this has nothing to do with redefining the recipes, it just means defining more than one image.