Re: The do_populate_sdk is finishing OK even when there are errors present in the build

Fabio Berton

Hi Richard!

Ok, I'll prepare a patch, do more tests on my side and if everything works I'll send the patch to the OE-core list.

Is there any specific test, or just populate_sdk with core-image-base?

Thanks!

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 8:48 AM Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...> wrote:
On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 17:40 -0300, Fabio Berton wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm running some test with do_populate_sdk task and I'm seeing this
> on the log:
>
> check_data_file_clashes: Package kmsxx-dbg wants to install file /home/builder/build/tmp/work/foo-poky-
> linux/core-image-minimal/1.0-r0/sdk/image/opt/bar/sysroots/aarch64-poky-linux/usr/bin/.debug/kmstest
> But that file is already provided by package  * libdrm-dbg
>
> I also see this kind of message with other packages.
>
> Looking in the source code I found that the install_complementary
> function runs this [1] with attempt_only=True, and if attempt_only is
> true log above it's just a warning, as shown here [2].
>
> This [3] comment says that "will only attempt to install these packages,
> if they don't exist then no error will occur."
>
> My question is how can I force an error and not just a warning when
> running do_populate_sdk?
>
> I understand that I can change [1] to run:
>
>   self.install(install_pkgs)
>
> so, it'll use set attempt_only to False, that is the default, but I
> think this will break some use cases.
>
> What is the correct behaviour here, see the warning messages and fix
> the packages to avoid "file is already provided by package" messages,
> every time I create a SDK or change in some way to see an error message
>  and stop SDK generation?
>
> What is the correct behavior here, inspect the warning messages, and
> fix the packages to avoid "file is already provided by package" messages,
> every time I create an SDK or change it in some way to see an error
> message and stop the SDK generation?

It would probably be worth an experiment to see if we really do need the
attempt_only option set there any more. I'd hope it isn't needed now...

It is probably worth testing a patch on the autobuilder, assuming your
local tests with that pass. We'd need to check the different package
backends are ok with that.