Re: Reducing the perl footprint on my image

Diego Santa Cruz

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto@... <yocto@...> On
Behalf Of Steve Sakoman via lists.yoctoproject.org
Sent: 02 March 2021 21:06
To: Steve Sakoman <steve@...>
Cc: rustyhowell@...; Yocto (yocto@...)
<yocto@...>
Subject: Re: [yocto] Reducing the perl footprint on my image

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 10:01 AM Steve Sakoman via
lists.yoctoproject.org <steve=sakoman.com@...>
wrote:

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:26 AM <rustyhowell@...> wrote:

I have an image that is using debian package management
(PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_deb"). Because apt and dpkg require perl,
perl is being installed in the image. No problem. Except that the entire perl
stack is 669 packages.

I just took a look at the manifest for one of my images that includes
PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_deb". I see the perl package plus 43
perl-module packages. Are you sure that something else in your images
isn't pulling in all of those other perl-module packages?
It just occurred to me to make sure you are looking in the image
manifest to see which packages are actually installed in your image.
The perl recipe does generate 676 packages (in dunfell) so perhaps you
might be looking at the generated packages rather than the installed
packages??
I encountered a similar problem with package management enabled and rpm as package format, where I also just install rpm for package management and not all dnf stack. I get quite a lot of perl and python packages into the image which are pulled by the rpm package, but they are only needed for things like rpm-build, rpm-sign, etc., not for the bare rpm command, which is the only one I need in the image.

So I locally extended the rpm recipe to split those tools into rpm-build, rpm-sign and rpm-archive and skip those packages in the image. I should probably send patches for that to oe-core. Is that something that could be accepted?

--
Diego Santa Cruz, PhD
Technology Architect