Re: SDKMACHINE and ppc64le issue with latest head?

Richard Purdie

On Fri, 2021-01-29 at 13:48 -0600, Andrew Geissler wrote:

On Jan 29, 2021, at 10:54 AM, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

On Fri, 2021-01-29 at 08:40 -0800, Andrew Geissler wrote:
What was SDKMACHINE set to before?
Hey Richard, thanks for the quick response.

We did not have it set. It looks like this recent commit is what
changed things on us:

commit c74ec1dd7393b9dc7bec1a3ca2ed0a56fb18d8fb
Author: Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com>
Date: Tue Dec 22 17:23:14 2020 +0000

    bitbake.conf: default SDKMACHINE to the build host architecture

Looks like I need to submit a patch to y'all to add a ppc64le.conf to
conf/machine-sdk/?
That would likely avoid the failures you're seeing, yes.

I really wish we had better support for ppc64le both for hosts and
targets and had people actively involved/maintaining the ppc support,
its in need of massive modernisation particularly on the target side.
Darn, I tried just adding this:

cat meta/conf/machine-sdk/ppc64le.conf

SDK_ARCH = "ppc64le"
ABIEXTENSION_class-nativesdk = ""

I get further but then hit a bunch of fails like this:

ERROR: /home/andrewg/Code/openbmc/meta/recipes-devtools/meson/nativesdk-meson_0.56.0.bb: Unable to determine endianness for architecture '${SDK_ARCH}'
ERROR: /home/andrewg/Code/openbmc/meta/recipes-devtools/meson/nativesdk-meson_0.56.0.bb: Please add your architecture to siteinfo.bbclass
ERROR: Failed to parse recipe: /home/andrewg/Code/openbmc/meta/recipes-devtools/meson/nativesdk-meson_0.56.0.bb
ERROR: /home/andrewg/Code/openbmc/meta/recipes-graphics/xorg-lib/libxext_1.3.4.bb: Unable to determine endianness for architecture '${SDK_ARCH}'
ERROR: /home/andrewg/Code/openbmc/meta/recipes-graphics/xorg-lib/libxext_1.3.4.bb: Please add your architecture to siteinfo.bbclass

I’m did some grepping around but don’t see anything obvious. Why is it not
finding the SDK_ARCH I’ve set in the new conf file?

Wondering if I should just go with my first workaround and set SDKMACHINE=x86_64.
Apparently using that default in the past hasn’t affected our use cases.
SDKMACHINE is the machine to run any SDK that is built on. If you're
not building an SDK or eSDK, it won't matter to your use case.
BUILD_ARCH is the machine you're building upon which is already being
set correctly and unchanged.