Re: Using RDEPENDS in bbappend files to install additional packages?

Chuck Wolber

Apologies for the marginally related reply, but the provided example triggered a reminder of a best practice we started doing that had some significant maintainability benefits.

Instead of this pattern:

RDEPENDS_${PN} += " \
         lighttpd-module-alias \
         lighttpd-module-auth \
         lighttpd-module-cgi \
         lighttpd-module-compress \
         lighttpd-module-evasive \
         lighttpd-module-evhost \

We found that this pattern made it significantly easier to manage recipes, as well as use common command line tools like grep/sed/awk, without having to deal with the complexities of multi-line processing. It also helped make git commits and patches much more focused and readable.

RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-alias"
RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-auth"
RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-cgi"
RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-compress"
RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-evasive"
RDEPENDS_${PN} += " lighttpd-module-evhost"

..Ch:W..

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 6:12 AM Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@...> wrote:
Hi Robert,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 09:06:39AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Another question regarding recipe/coding style (based on actual
> examples I run across in existing code bases).
>
> In one vendor's layer, in file "lighttpd_1.4.%.bbappend", I read:
>
>   RDEPENDS_${PN} += " \
>         lighttpd-module-alias \
>         lighttpd-module-auth \
>         lighttpd-module-cgi \
>         lighttpd-module-compress \
>         lighttpd-module-evasive \
>         lighttpd-module-evhost \
>         ... sizable snip of many ore modules ...
>
> There's little question that this is being used to incorporate a
> number of optional modules into the final image, but I'm assuming
> that this is really not the recommended way to do it.
>
> The YP reference manual defines RDEPENDS as identifying "other
> packages that must be installed in order for the package to function
> correctly," which suggests that it's the base recipe that should
> define actual runtime dependencies.
>
> I would have thought that the natural way to do the above would
> be to either use IMAGE_INSTALL_append or (my preference) define
> a packagegroup that includes all those packages, then simply
> include the packagegroup.
>
> In short, am I reasonable in assuming that bbappend files should
> not (ab)use RDEPENDS in the above way?

I'd say they either should be added to IMAGE_INSTALL one by one, or
being put into a packagegroup or even use RRECOMMENDS instead of
RDEPENDS. To me, it feels wrong too, if it's really not a need, they
should not be in RDEPENDS.

"Perfection must be reached by degrees; she requires the slow hand of time." - Voltaire