Re: [meta-atmel] at91sam9x5ek: "no machine record defined" failure for core-image-minimal

Bryan Evenson

Brian,

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Karcz [mailto:briank@...]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 3:49 PM
To: Bryan Evenson; Bruce Ashfield; yocto@...
Subject: RE: [yocto] [meta-atmel] at91sam9x5ek: "no machine record
defined" failure for core-image-minimal

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the tip. Any chance you tried assigning the PREFFERED_VERSION
to 3.6.9 and using the linux4sam meta-atmel layer as is?

I'll definitely check out your layer. I was hoping the at91sam9x5ek would just
build so that I could start tweaking it to define a machine works for its little
brother, the at91sam9g20ek.

I'm coming from an older 2.6.30 kernel that used a board file instead of the
device tree and was planning to use the demo build from meta-atmel and
some small mods to give myself a crash course on device tree development.
Looks like the learning curve might have steepened a bit.
I would take a look at using at least the 3.10 kernel from Atmel. It's the most stable one they have and it's where they've been backporting additional device tree support. I believe if you use my defconfig, you should be able to build a 3.10 kernel with Atmel's latest layer. And definitely start reading up on device tree development. It takes some getting used to but it is a good step forward.

Regards,
Bryan

Thanks,
Brian