Re: stupid question about post-installation scripts

Bryan Evenson

Robert,

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert P. J. Day [mailto:rpjday@...]
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 12:29 PM
To: Bryan Evenson
Cc: Rifenbark, Scott M; Yocto discussion list
Subject: RE: stupid question about post-installation scripts

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Bryan Evenson wrote:

Robert,

That's how it works in my experience. I have some packages for my
system that have a postinst piece that needs to run during image
creation, and other pieces that need to run only on a package
upgrade.
By checking whether "x${D}" = "${D}", I am filtering out whether the
postinst script is running during image creation or on the actual
hardware. Been working great so far.
right, but what i was trying to clarify is (and i think you answer
it) that postint scripts will be invoked *both* at image creation time
and boot time, and it's your responsibility to identify which parts run
at which times.
Everyone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the package management tool checks if postinst completed successfully. The postinst script for a package can run either 1) during image creation, 2) during bootup or 3) during package installation/upgrade. If postinst for a package has not yet completed successfully, then the package management tool will try to run the postinst script for that package at the next triggerable event.

-Bryan

=
Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario,
CANADA