From: yocto-bounces@... [mailto:yocto-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Timo Müller
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:10 AM
To: yocto@...
Cc: Timo Mueller
Subject: Re: [yocto] [RFCv3 0/7][eclipse-poky] Integrate yocto documentation into eclipse

Hi,

mail@... wrote, On 06.12.2012 16:48:
From: Timo Mueller <timo.mueller@...>

Hi,

since the last proposal some things have changed:
1. Eclipse help generation is now part of the yocto-docs project
(currently available in the origin/timo branch) 2. We agreed that the
plugin should be licensed under the EPL v1.0 instead of having a
separate documentation plugin licensed under the CCA-SA 2.0 UK.

The last patch set was adding generated eclipse help files (html) to
the repository. One major change in this patch series is that I
extended the plugin build system to integrate the generation into the
build process. Thus keeping the eclipse help and the official
documentation in sync is now automated.
Also the eclipse help is now part of the user.doc plugin and no longer
contained in a separate plugin/feature.

Rational from the original patch:
<snip>
the documentation of the yocto project can currently be viewed online
or as a separate pdf. When using the eclipse ide to develop software
on base of a yocto sysroot and toolchain it would be convenient to
access the relevant parts of the documentation from within the ide.
</snip>
<snip>
I have intergrated this
documentation in the ide and it can now be accessed through the
eclipse help center (Help -> Help Contents).
</snip>

Best regards
Timo

Timo Mueller (7):
plugins/sdk.ide.doc.user: Add empty eclipse help
plugins/sdk.ide.doc.user: Add about.html to prepare addition of yocto
documentation
scripts/generate_doc.sh: Add script to handle eclipse help generation
plugins/sdk.ide.doc.user: Add yocto documentation to the table of
contents
scripts/generat-doc.sh: Copy generated eclipse help into the user.doc
plugin
scripts/build.sh: Add documentation generation to the default build
(TEMPORARY): Use origin/timo branch of yocto docs project

.../META-INF/MANIFEST.MF | 3 +-
plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/about.html.in | 166 ++++++++++++++++++++
.../org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/build.properties | 9 +-
plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/html/book.css | 1 +
plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/plugin.xml | 31 ++++
plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/toc.xml | 21 +++
scripts/build.sh | 7 +
scripts/generate_doc.sh | 91 +++++++++++
create mode 100644 plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/about.html.in
create mode 100644 plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/html/book.css
create mode 100644 plugins/org.yocto.sdk.ide.doc.user/toc.xml
create mode 100755 scripts/generate_doc.sh
The name of the poky-ref-manual will be changed to ref-manual. This change has an impact on this patch series, since the name is used in the generate-doc shell script.
But with the temporary fix in patch 7, the timo branch is used, which will for the time being remain unaffected by the name changes. This way you can test the documentation integration proposed in this patch set.
I would like to get your opinion on the general approach to integrate the documentation into eclipse. If it fits into the eclipse-poky project in general, I will rewrite this patch series to reflect the changes. The rewrite will also remove the "the" from the different help chapters (as Scott pointed out to me).
I also agreed with Scott that once this approach is agreed on I will provide the necessary patches to the timo branch of the yocto-docs project and he will merge the eclipse generation into the master of the project.

Best regards,
Timo

PS: I also apologize for not signing off the patch series. I will make up for that in the reworked patches.