Using Qt EGLFS without wayland DISTRO_FEATURES on i.MX8

Diego Rondini

Hi,

As far as I understand it is currently impossible to build qtbase with "eglfs" in PACKAGECONFIG without also having "wayland" in DISTRO_FEATURES in a build for an i.MX8. Is this correct?

This is my reasoning:
1) the currently available i.MX8 SOCs all have "imxgpu3d":
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/blob/master/conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc#L79
2) this means that qtbase PACKAGECONFIG_GL will be "gles2":
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/blob/master/dynamic-layers/qt5-layer/recipes-qt/qt5/qtbase_%25.bbappend#L22
3) so imx-gpu-viv will be required to provide "virtual/libgles2". imx-gpu-viv then requires "wayland" as a DISTRO_FEATURE
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/blob/master/recipes-graphics/imx-gpu-viv/imx-gpu-viv-6.inc#L56

Is this a shortcoming of how imx-gpu-viv libraries are provided by NXP?

Thank you,
Diego

Atiki Karim

Hi Diego,

No, this is not a shortcoming, afaik.
Current iMX8 config does not support, and will not support eglfs.
Wayland /XWayland is the alternative to use.

And even if your DISTRO_FEATURES contains wayland or xwayland, eglfs in PACKAGECONFIG will raise an error during the build.

However, OpenGL ES 1,2 and 3 is still supported by Qt on IMX8.

Karim.

[...]

Hi Karim,

On 09/10/2019 10:12, Karim ATIKI wrote:
Hi Diego,

No, this is not a shortcoming, afaik.
Current iMX8 config does not support, and will not support eglfs.
Wayland /XWayland is the alternative to use.

And even if your DISTRO_FEATURES contains wayland or xwayland, eglfs in PACKAGECONFIG will raise an error during the build.

However, OpenGL ES 1,2 and 3 is still supported by Qt on IMX8.

Thank you for your reply.

I think EGLFS is supported on i.MX8, as Boundary Devices is providing a Boot2Qt image which uses Qt EGLFS:

https://boundarydevices.com/boot2qt-embedded-qt5-image-and-toolchain-for-nitrogen8m-and-8m-mini/

Also I don't have issues in thud when building qtbase with both wayland and eglfs in PACKAGECONFIG.

My question is still: is it possible to build qtbase with eglfs but without wayland in PACKAGECONFIG?

Otherwise I will just use qtbase with eglfs and wayland and not use the wayland support.

Regards,

Diego