Linux Kernel Choices for i.MX8mq

Kevin Lannen

Hi,

I am about to start updating a project we have that is based on an i.MX8mq SOC from Rocko to one of the newer yocto releases. We are currently on the linux-imx 4.9 kernel but we are not sure whether we should move to the linux-imx 4.14, or 4.19 or whether we should move to the mainline kernel (5.2 from Zeus).

Is there a list of what features of the i.MX8mq work well in the mainline kernel vs which features still require the linux-imx kernel?

We are not currently using the Vivante GPU for our application so if there is limited support for that it will not be an issue.

Does anyone have experience using the mainline kernel with the i.MX8mq? Does it work well?

Thanks,

Kevin Lannen

Embedded Systems Engineer

Patroness, LLC

Kevin Lannen

Hi All,

Bump on this. I tried to build an image for the imx8mqevk using the linux-yocto 5.2 and was not able to get it to boot. Has anyone had success with the mainline kernel on the imx8m platform?

Regards,

Kevin Lannen

Embedded Systems Engineer

Patroness, LLC