meta-freescale Sumo release?

Matt

Hi all,

I could not find any documentation and announcement for a Sumo release on meta-freescale and Freescale documentation Github.

Question:

Has meta-freescale Sumo ever been released? If yes, where I can find the release documentation? If not, what is the release plan and where the information can be found?

Thank you in advance!

Matt

Matt

Hi all,

Does anyone know the answers to the questions I asked last week? Or any pointers to where the questions may be answered? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for the help!

I could not find any documentation and announcement for a Sumo release on meta-freescale and Freescale documentation Github.

Question:

Has meta-freescale Sumo ever been released? If yes, where I can find the release documentation? If not, what is the release plan and where the information can be found?

Thank you in advance!

Matt

Andrey Zhizhikin

Hey Matt,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM Tsai, Matt <matt.tsai@thermofisher.com> wrote:

I could not find any documentation and announcement for a Sumo release on meta-freescale and Freescale documentation Github.
Freescale Github contains a sumo branch
(https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/tree/sumo), so you should
be able to build off of that. You should also pick up a corresponding
sumo from meta-freescale-distro and meta-freescale-3rdparty.

Has meta-freescale Sumo ever been released? If yes, where I can find the release documentation? If not, what is the release plan and where the information can be found?
What exact release announcement and documentation you're referring to?
From what I see, sumo branch is present in all layers necessary to
build the Freescale distro.

Besides, what is your motivation to use the sumo branch? It is already
quite old, and is at least 2 stable branches behind (thud and warrior)
with one more (3.0) underway. Maybe you should consider to switch to
the latest here as I do not believe that sumo has any "release plan"
anymore.

Thank you in advance!
Matt
-- andrey

Matt

Hi Andrey,

Thank you the reply.

I picked the sumo branches from both Poky and meta-freescale for P2020 RDB. They were the stable branches at the time I started.
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/log/?h=sumo
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/log/?h=sumo

I was looking for a release note or annoucement for meta-freescale sumo branch:
Something like this: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto-announce/2018-May/000136.html from Poky for the sumo release.
Or something like this: http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.4/ from meta-freescale for the sumo release. However, Rocko is the latest release I could find.

- What is the difference between the meta-freescale reporitory you referred to (on Github) and the yoctoproject.org GIT repository?
- If meta-freescale has no plan to release "sumo", what are the releases after "rocko" that supports P2020 RDB? And where I can find a release note (annoucement), or plan if it is not released yet?

Thank you,

Matt

(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_Freescale_meta-2Dfreescale_tree_sumo&d=DwIBaQ&c=q6k2DsTcEGCcCb_WtVSz6hhIl8hvYssy7sH8ZwfbbKU&r=LfbDghM-XW_5RT-h77pAoNBiz4zBr-sjgQI-UHuV1XU&m=R0X_hJDcCODrBwVU9b_M1xTLZi8FRWqMg56DLMI4wc0&s=4-iQ8j3eS2bceupldZESlC3vYkrBPFnYqDeFOVJJgag&e= ), so you should be able to build off of that. You should also pick up a corresponding sumo from meta-freescale-distro and meta-freescale-3rdparty.

Has meta-freescale Sumo ever been released? If yes, where I can find the release documentation? If not, what is the release plan and where the information can be found?
What exact release announcement and documentation you're referring to?
From what I see, sumo branch is present in all layers necessary to build the Freescale distro.

Besides, what is your motivation to use the sumo branch? It is already quite old, and is at least 2 stable branches behind (thud and warrior) with one more (3.0) underway. Maybe you should consider to switch to the latest here as I do not believe that sumo has any "release plan"
anymore.

Thank you in advance!
Matt
-- andrey

Andrey Zhizhikin

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:46 PM Tsai, Matt <matt.tsai@thermofisher.com> wrote:

Hi Andrey,
Hey Matt!

Thank you the reply.
No problem!

I picked the sumo branches from both Poky and meta-freescale for P2020 RDB. They were the stable branches at the time I started.
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/log/?h=sumo
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/log/?h=sumo
You would need couple of additional layers to build the image for your
target... This is listed in:
https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-base

I was looking for a release note or annoucement for meta-freescale sumo branch:
Something like this: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto-announce/2018-May/000136.html from Poky for the sumo release.
Or something like this: http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.4/ from meta-freescale for the sumo release. However, Rocko is the latest release I could find.
I do not think that NXP would make an announcement for other releases
in a form you're expecting it to be, but even if they would - you're
not limited to that release, and can always try to build your image
from either the master branch or any stable branches that you're
interested in. Bottom line is I guess for this point NXP people should
comment here.

- What is the difference between the meta-freescale reporitory you referred to (on Github) and the yoctoproject.org GIT repository?
I believe Github is the place of origin for the meta-freescale
development, and Yocto Project is a mirror of it.

- If meta-freescale has no plan to release "sumo", what are the releases after "rocko" that supports P2020 RDB? And where I can find a release note (annoucement), or plan if it is not released yet?
Did you try to build off the latest "master" branch? This should have
a support for QorIQ platforms (have a look at
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-qoriq_4.19.bb
for example).

What you would need to do here is to look at the manifest file that
NXP provided for sumo, deduct all remotes and layers from it
(meta-fresscale, meta-freescale-distro, meta-freescale-3rdparty,
etc.), put them together and run the build.

Thank you,

Matt
-- andrey

Matt

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for the answers. They are very helpful. I think the master branch should work.

My understanding is the hardware vendor will also release the hardware specific meta data layer for every Poky release. NXP will have a meta-freescale release for a corresponding Poky release. For example, a Sumo release for a matching Poky Sumo release, a Thud release for a matching Poky Thud release, ...etc. I wonder if any NXP people can comment on this?

Matt