Date

Re: Anyone have experience with adding op-tee to fsl-community-bsp for imx8mm?

Ricardo Salveti

Hi Brian,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 11:21 AM Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com> wrote:

It's been over a year now since I ran NXP's yocto release on imx8mm-evk but I believe that op-tee was included. I now find myself needing to use our eMMC RPMB for key storage since our TPM modules have supply chain issues :(.

So I understand op-tee works with RPMB so looks like I probably need to move that direction and would like to know if anyone has done one of these setups before adding op-tee to fsl-community-bsp configured for RPMB.

What I'm really wanting to do is have an application filesystem that's encrypted and get key to mount/decrypt from RPMB.
Latest OP-TEE from NXP supports generating HUK for closed devices, so
that should be all you need. You might need to configure the OP-TEE to
enable RPMB, but that should be all you need to be able to access it.

The main problem with RPMB is that you will have to generate and write
a key in order to protect the RPMB access, and for this you will have
to close your device (HUK is only available when the device is closed
and booted in secure mode), and compile and boot a specific OP-TEE
binary that has the capability of writing the RPMB key on first access
(CFG_RPMB_WRITE_KEY=y). The current OP-TEE implementation derives the
RPMB key out of HUK, which forces it to be specific to the device and
makes it available only when the device is in secure mode.

https://docs.foundries.io/latest/reference-manual/security/secure-boot-imx.html
might be useful for understanding how that access is made and how to
close/fuse your board.

Ricardo Salveti

Re: How to get firmware-imx for imx8mm evk into sdcard image? I'm getting firmware loading errors for sdma-imx7d.bin etc.

Brian Hutchinson

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Brian Hutchinson via lists.yoctoproject.org <b.hutchman=gmail.com@...> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:49 AM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z@...> wrote:
Hello Brian,

Well, this is I guess an expected behavior. firmware packages are
listed in MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS, which is (according to Yocto
Reference manual, link
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS)
is only considered when packagegroup-base is installed in the image
and does not affect 'core-image-minimal' or 'core-image-full-cmdline'
images.

That is the reason that even if the package is added in the
imx-base.inc (like Otavio suggested in his patch) - you would not
receive it in core-image-minimal and you would have to install it
explicitly.

As for firmware packages themselves, I guess it should be changed from
MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS to MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS in order to bail
out at the build time rather than figure out that they are not present
on the device at boot time. But this is yet a separate point, which
actually would not solve your original issue as you either need an
image recipe which includes packagegroup-base or you have to
explicitly list them in IMAGE_INSTALL.

> I see there is a firmware-imx-8m package so maybe I should add it.

This package is actually empty, and only serves as a deploy target to
provide Cadence HDMI FW for imx-boot to build a boot container. Even
if you try to install it - you would not receive any FW files on the
target.

Hate to bring up an old thread again but I'm back to trying to pair down my image size and trying to use core-image-minimal and having issues with firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d & sdma-imx7d.bin

If I just build imx-sdma as a kernel module do I even need to worry about sdma-imx7d.bin being in the rootfs?

Anyone? Anyone?
anyone-anyone.jpg

Re: Update linux-fslc on hardknott branch

Andrey Zhizhikin

Hello Sam,

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM Andrey Zhizhikin via
lists.yoctoproject.org <andrey.z=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org>
wrote:

Hello Sam,

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:37 PM svdb <sam.van.den.berge@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Currently on hardknott branch in meta-freescale, linux-fslc points to
version 5.10.32. However latest 5.10 version in linux-fslc repo is
5.10.47. Would it be possible to update linux-fslc in meta-freescale on
hardknott branch?
This is on my TODO list, see
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/pull/814

I'm pretty loaded now, but I'll see if I can bump up the version in
recipes somewhen next week.
It took me quite a while, but I've submitted the PR against
[hardknott] to bump the kernel to the latest stable (both NXP and FSLC
ones).

See https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/pull/831

I don't mind creating some patches myself. I guess I'll need to
cherrypick the necessary commits from master then?
Kernel tree already contains all stable updates, it is only about
updating the kernel recipes in the layer.

Kr,
Sam.

Andrey.

Andrey.

Re: How to get firmware-imx for imx8mm evk into sdcard image? I'm getting firmware loading errors for sdma-imx7d.bin etc.

Brian Hutchinson

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:49 AM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z@...> wrote:
Hello Brian,

Well, this is I guess an expected behavior. firmware packages are
listed in MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS, which is (according to Yocto
Reference manual, link
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS)
is only considered when packagegroup-base is installed in the image
and does not affect 'core-image-minimal' or 'core-image-full-cmdline'
images.

That is the reason that even if the package is added in the
imx-base.inc (like Otavio suggested in his patch) - you would not
receive it in core-image-minimal and you would have to install it
explicitly.

As for firmware packages themselves, I guess it should be changed from
MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS to MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS in order to bail
out at the build time rather than figure out that they are not present
on the device at boot time. But this is yet a separate point, which
actually would not solve your original issue as you either need an
image recipe which includes packagegroup-base or you have to
explicitly list them in IMAGE_INSTALL.

> I see there is a firmware-imx-8m package so maybe I should add it.

This package is actually empty, and only serves as a deploy target to
provide Cadence HDMI FW for imx-boot to build a boot container. Even
if you try to install it - you would not receive any FW files on the
target.

Hate to bring up an old thread again but I'm back to trying to pair down my image size and trying to use core-image-minimal and having issues with firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d & sdma-imx7d.bin

If I just build imx-sdma as a kernel module do I even need to worry about sdma-imx7d.bin being in the rootfs?

Regards,

Brian

Anyone have experience with adding op-tee to fsl-community-bsp for imx8mm?

Brian Hutchinson

It's been over a year now since I ran NXP's yocto release on imx8mm-evk but I believe that op-tee was included.  I now find myself needing to use our eMMC RPMB for key storage since our TPM modules have supply chain issues :(.

So I understand op-tee works with RPMB so looks like I probably need to move that direction and would like to know if anyone has done one of these setups before adding op-tee to fsl-community-bsp configured for RPMB.

What I'm really wanting to do is have an application filesystem that's encrypted and get key to mount/decrypt from RPMB.

I've not done any of this before so reading and watching videos trying to weed out noise from what's important which is fun when you don't know what you don't know.

Regards,

Brian

Re: Safe to upgrade to a Community BSP?

Val Kondratenko

As is, in the 5.12 upstream branch, RPM (specifically imx7D to M4) should just work?
Amount of code in this area seems minimal compared to meta-freescale 5.4 releases.
With most of the functionality that used to be in /drivers/rpmsg/imx_rpmsg.c no longer present.

Thanks in advance,
Val