From: Fabio Estevam <festevam@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 4:14 PM
To: Val Kondratenko <valeriy.kondratenko@...>
Cc: meta-freescale@...
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Safe to upgrade to a Community BSP?

Hi Val,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:34 AM Val Kondratenko <valeriy.kondratenko@...> wrote:
I recently got tasked with upgrading linux kernel (which we get from freescale), to fix some vulnerabilities.

I am new to this, with all engineers with previous experience in this area no longer with company.

To fix the vulnerabilities, will need to upgrade to kernel rev 5.12.

Noticed that only a community branch of this (5.12.x+fslc) is available. Latest freescale (imx) releases/branches are still at 5.4.

I do so, my organization has previously used on freescale/imx releases.

Is it generally safe to use the community releases? Have their problems with bugs/instabilities with them?
Yes, it is a good approach to move to a mainline kernel.

One important aspect to consider is what is the i.MX SoC that you are using.

imx28/imx5/imx6/imx7 have decent support in the upstream kernel.
imx8m/imx8mm are getting better.

imx8qxp has a minimum support upstream in 5.12.

Join meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org to automatically receive all group messages.